Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help: Safety Minute at Monthly Meeting (Read 14,330 times)

Scott Wheeler
WR Supporter

The wood on the wathe
goes wound & wound

Reading PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Reading PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Re: Help: Safety Minute at Monthly Meeting
Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:23pm

Ouch! Glad you weren't hurt worse..

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Wood is one of God's hidden /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 11:10pm

Tom, glad you're okay and you are able to continue with life's important activities--mowing the lawn  Grin  It must not have been too deep since you didn't get stitches.  I've had some interesting experiences with electric drills too.  They can sure produce a lot of torque Shocked
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2014 at 11:11pm by Steve Doerr »  
IP Logged

Tracy Tame

HELP! I'm being Sucked
into the Vortex

Shoreline, WA, Washington, USA
Shoreline, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 11:35am

"Safety oops from the Shop."
Whenever I drill with a hole saw or large spade bit I use my Makita 6302H 1/2" drill with a side handle.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Makita_6302H_1:2_22_Drill.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #18 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 11:54am

Tracy Tame wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 11:35am:
Whenever I drill with a hole saw or large spade bit I use my Makita 6302H 1/2" drill with a side handle.

+1, but Milwaukee drill  Grin

IP Logged

Rick Howard

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Reply #19 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 1:48pm

I am a timber framer.  We use many dangerous tools on a daily basis.  Most notably are 16" circular saws.  We often use the circular saws of all sizes to perform many cuts including vertical "drop" cuts.  There is a technique to adhere to for maintaining safety. 

We preach technique and focus because many of accidents happen with lack of technique or complacency. 

A first aid kit should be in everyone's shop.  Store the kit in a highly visible and accessible area.  Keep its contents up to date!

Have some means of communication for emergency service. 

My wife and I have come up with a plan.  Every couple hours I check in with her... Or she comes to check on me.  I often try to have friends in the shop with me.  Making the check ins unnecessary. 

IP Logged

Dave Clausen
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Hainesville, Illinois, USA
Hainesville
Illinois
USA

Reply #20 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 8:10am

I was turning a piece of zapote that burned my throat and i hacked for over an hour yes i should have worn a respirator but i have turned a lot of different wood and nothing like this happened. now i look up as many woods that i can before i turn. just thought it was a good topic for safety

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #21 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 1:23pm

In addition to new woods, sometimes overexposure to woods you turn regularly will present a sudden, unexpected breathing reaction.  That is in addition to the damage to your lungs that any dust causes.  It is a cumulative effect.  Think of wood dust like coal dust and the problems with "Black Lung" disease.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #22 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 2:36pm

Thanks for this thread,all great advise and good reminders.As a recent recipient of a goose egg on my forehead and a black eye resulting from a combination of using weak plywood ,expecting it to hold my bowl on the lathe and not standing off the line of fire, along with no face shield,while finishing and polishing . That woke  me up,but better yet would be to take to heart all the above postings. Smiley

IP Logged

Ed Gallop

WR Rocks!

Stuart, Virginia, USA
Stuart
Virginia
USA

Reply #23 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 8:44am

Kathy Jekel wrote on Dec 6th, 2013 at 1:56pm:
"Stay out of the line of fire"....

Kathy said it all in 7 words. When I was a teen I saw someone lose 2 and a half fingers on a table saw slip. I developed a respectful fear of bladed and other sharp objects. I'm and old man (74) that has played with wood from building houses to pens since a teen and have never been cut. Fear is the biggest deterrent to dangerous accidents. I'm scared of bullets too so keep my head down.

Ed Gallop  
IP Logged

Ed Gallop

WR Rocks!

Stuart, Virginia, USA
Stuart
Virginia
USA

Reply #24 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 8:57am

Well...  I have has a few minor cuts requiring band-aids while carving but I was by knowingly taking stupid chances. I have much less fear of a skin cut than an amputation. My input...  Fear those dangerous tools capable of amputation, chemicals that can seriously hurt you, and clutter of course.

Ed Gallop  
IP Logged

Harry Robinette

turners do it with a spin

Reply #25 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 10:53pm

Glad you weren't hurt any worse then that,what happened is bad enough.

Harry Robinette-Woodspinner

IP Logged

Willie Sims

WR Rocks!

Tyler, Texas, USA
Tyler
Texas
USA

Reply #26 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 10:42pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Found this online looking to see if prickly ash was a good wood to turn, it kind of amazed me to discover there are so many verities of wood itself that could be toxic, also working around a wood pile collecting some nice pieces of turning stock I found my self facing a very unhappy snake when I pulled a log from a pile, 
I drive a truck for a living our company motto, Safety All The Time!

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

CONOVER 15 x Infinity
NOVA Comet 10 x 16
Delta 1440 (converted to VSR)
Reply #27 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 7:44pm

I've had a couple bowl blanks whiz past my ear.  About 30 yrs ago, while roughing out a bowl blank about 10" dia.  (Too fast, too inexperienced, etc.) I had a dig in.  The force broke the 3/4" tool post and slammed a fingertip between chisel and the banjo.  That fingertip is wider than it used to be.  My dad's comment at these events was "Well, did you learn anything?"

One good turn deserves another miscut!

IP Logged

Brad Barnhart

Sawdust Haven Woodworking

St. Francis, Kansas, USA
St. Francis, Kansas
USA

Harbor Freight 12" x 33 5/8"
67" home built lathe
BM-26 Hawk scroll saw
CW-40 Hitachi Scroll Saw
16" Craftsman Scroll saw
12"DeWalt Radial arm saw
8" Craftsman Tablesaw
Reply #28 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 10:05pm

I would have to agree with most here. Enforce the thought of getting to & understand your equipment. Several of the injuries we see here are from the fact that knowing the equipment, when you really don't. Study & research the equipment you are about to use. KNOW its capabilities!

Hearing protection, well, from a personal stand point, that is a matter of choice. I'm one of those ol' guys thats' been around equipment most of my life, & I've been taught to listen to the machine I'm running. I'm not able to hear much with hearing protection, so it's not a necessity for me.

Dust masks should be pushed! Every breath of air you take in your shop is loaded with dust. To protect your own lungs, take the initiative to do so.

Stay out of the line of fire! you never know when a piece is goin to fly apart!

As a newbie, I've learned that if it doesn't quite feel right, it probably isn't. But, I take more time in decisive work & design. Sometimes I have an idea or design when I start turning, & by the time I get close to the end of it, I may change my ideas. A good, sharpened tool helps with that decision.

My apologies for the ramble, but, these are just things I've learned in 24 years of woodworking. jm .02. Thumbs Up

Sawdust703
Brad Barnhart/Sawdust Haven  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print