Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roll away tool chests....... (Read 1,445 times)

Keith Heyer

WR Rocks!

Roll away tool chests.......
Dec 15th, 2013 at 1:27pm

I am looking to start organizing my garage/woodshop finally. I have been considering getting a roll around tool cabinet to organize my lathe tools.

Has anybody had success in using a roll around tool box for their lathe tools? My thought is to get one from Harbor Freight and mount the grinder and Wolverine jig on top and use the drawers to organize the tools.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Keith

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: Roll away tool chests.......
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 2:28pm

I have my grinder and several other bench tools mounted like that.  You are going to want to add a 3/4" layer of plywood on the top before trying to mount anything.  I am planning to remount mine on a box that will raise it about a foot since it is too low.  The box will be the full size of the tool box to give room for all the sharpening related stuff.  I'll also drill a hole in each end near the top back to insert the Wolverine bar for storage.  I'll also mount on the end instead of the side to leave more useful space for other tools. 

I also added a sheet of 3/4" plywood under the bottoms and 6" squares of 3/4" ply in each corner inside after one started to deform where the casters mount.  The casters are now bolted all the way through.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 12:00pm

I have mine on a tall roll around.  In the  drawers I store assorted pen blanks and parts, printed turorials,nitrel,  gloves, ect.  Of the two grinders one is for axes, lawnmower blades. The other is for turning exclusively.  You'll see below the Wolverine jig a board with depth setting holes for bowl jigs.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 1-DSCF0073.JPG (Attachment deleted)

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

John_Voloudakis
WR Supporter

Boston South Shore, Massachusetts, USA
Boston South Shore
Massachusetts
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2013 at 4:39pm

I do that too.  My Tormek lives on top, with my turning tools and supplies inside, along with the Tormek jigs.  A cabinet like the one Guy shows above is enough to comfortably fit most of my stuff, keeping it out of the shavings and easily accessible.  As a bonus I got mine for $30 on Craigslist.  Smiley

-John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print