Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
dry? wet? peppermill/spindle turning (Read 786 times)

Josh Horsley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

dry? wet? peppermill/spindle turning
Jan 16th, 2014 at 3:04am

Hi all,  I am new to turning and have spent hours on the web and with books trying to figure it out.  I turned a 6" peppermill last week out of dark walnut.  I was very pleased with how it turned out.  The next day the top was tight and I sanded it and refinished it again to make it fit loose. A week later it wont even go together.  I'm guessing I turned it with the wood too wet.  It dosn't appear warpped  Undecided .  I bought the wood off ebay and dont know when it was cut.  I have read about and used the two turn methed for  wet bowls. I have found nothing on wet spindle/peppermill work or I just could be missing something somewhere.   How do you judge when the wood is right or too wet??? or what process is best for turning things like peppermills, boxes, spindle work with wet wood???  Should I turn it like a wet bowl, once, wait four/six months and turn it again???

Thanks

Josh

IP Logged

Jerry Marcantel
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Tucson, Arizona, Arizona, USA
Tucson, Arizona
Arizona
USA

Re: dry? wet? peppermill/spindle turning
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 7:59am

I did a bunch once. The wood was soaking wet when rounded. I cut the chamber and top,  also drilled the hole, and bagged them for about 6 months. So, rough turn them, and go back later to do the final turning..
My wood was mesquite, so it's pretty stable anyway.... ....... Jerry (in Tucson)
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2014 at 8:00am by Jerry Marcantel »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 9:51am

Josh Horsley wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 3:04am:
I have found nothing on wet spindle/peppermill work or I just could be missing something somewhere.   How do you judge when the wood is right or too wet??? or what process is best for turning things like peppermills, boxes, spindle work with wet wood???  Should I turn it like a wet bowl, once, wait four/six months and turn it again??

Any wet wood will move after it is cut, it just depends on the grain orientation.
A bowl may warp and become more oval shaped but a spindle can warp along the length also which may be harder to detect. Additionally, anything that has a fixed or mechanical component should be completely dry and stable before you assemble.
One way is to use a moisture meter to determine when your stock is dry enough to turn and remain stable. Another way, and probably faster, it to use the method Jerry described of rough turning.

IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:39am

Pretty common issue actually.  When I get blanks that are wet I'll drill a 1" hole through them and then soak in DNA for at least 24 hours.  Then let them dry for a week or so and then re drill both ends and mount them in mandrells to turn to the final shape.

The DNA will replace the water or moisture in the blank and will allow them to dry faster.  You can do the same with roughed out bowl blanks.

IP Logged

Josh Horsley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 1:28am

Thanks for the information.  Walt what is DNA??

IP Logged

Charlie Zapalac
WR Addict

The Cross Guy

Carlos, Tx, Texas, USA
Carlos, Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 8:19am

Denatured Alcohol

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 11:15am

Once you get the wood home, don't rush it to the lathe right away.
Let the wood stabilize to your shop for a few days to a few weeks.
One way to tell if the wood is dry is to weigh it.
When it stops losing weight, or even gains weight, it is as dry as it is going to get without being kilned.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print