Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Selling Pens
Feb 18th, 2014 at 11:08am

Could those of you who sell pens help me out with something.
I am looking for a good way to present my pens to potential customers. All my pens are in the little square tubes with a label that has a description and my logo.
Here's the problem area, I have a decent sized inventory and when someone says they want to buy a pen, How do I present them with the various choices without overwhelming them or confusing them. Do you have a sample case or use a pen-folio thing or just show them a sample?
Any input would be appreciated, thank you.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Re: Selling Pens
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 3:02pm

I use a pen display box, it allows for a good selection of different styles to be shown. It makes a good carry case for them as well I travel back and forth a lot and many times folks will look at the products and order a style with a special wood of there liking. Making pens to order is so much more fun than making them on spec.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 3:17pm

Thanks Bert, that's just what I was after,

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 3:55pm

I use Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.  I cut them in half lengthwise and glue them to 1/8" masonite for stiffness and use the wallpaper edge they show to keep the pens from sliding off the bottom.  I used about 20 of them when I was doing shows last fall, with the back edge propped up on a piece of 1X2.  I can also use them in tiers like this.  I carry them in flat poly boxes that are about 14X22X6"

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register pen_trays1r.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 4:57pm

Thanks Jim  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 8:14pm

Some people will be overwhelmed if too many choices.  You can always keep additional inventory out of sight to fill empty slots and for the occasional person who asks if you have more choices.  Wonder if having one on a pad of paper, suggesting people "test drive" it, would help sell.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 9:49pm

If you notice, almost all of the pens pictured are different.  I started the fall shows with about 425 pens, and probably only had 6-8 that were similar.  And those were the very popular items like the Bolt action in Jack Daniels Oak, or Antler.  They sell very well with a wide selection spread over 3 6" tables.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 8:29pm

A few years ago I got tired of picking pens off the racks that I was using to display them so I made some trays that stack together in a carrier. There are 10 trays and each tray holds up to 12 pens for a total of 120 pens.

When I set up I take the trays out and arrange them around the tables and when I tear down it takes me about 5 minutes or less to pick the trays up and stack them in the carrier.

The trays are made from (nominal) 1/2 inch oak from Home Depot with a 1/2 plywood bottom and felt glues into grooves routed into the 1/2 inch plywood.  When loaded with pens it is REALLY heavy.  I did another one I would make it from 1/4-inch oak, and use the trays / inserts that Jim showed in his post above for the grooves.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2014 at 8:30pm by Tony Rozendaal »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 2010-06-006.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMGP2076.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMGP2077.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMGP2078.JPG (Attachment deleted)

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 9:07pm

Thanks Tony, I'm not sure I'm going that big but it's definitely something to consider.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print