Dick Bernard

WR Rocks!

Moneta, Virginia, USA
Moneta
Virginia
USA

Quickest way
Mar 2nd, 2014 at 6:48am

What is the "quickest way" to get a super shiny, lustreous, glossy, deep looking glass shine on a bottle stopper or pen or pepper grinder, etc.?

As far as the type of wood....just any wood in general.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Davis

Safety first!

Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Stillwater
Oklahoma
USA

Re: Quickest way
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 7:05am

Quickest way(s) to that kind of finish might be either spray lacquer or a super glue finish... some of the more accomplished "finishers" can probably give you better ideas.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 8:11am

Fast finishes are not always the best finishes.

If it works right, CA is fast and produces a very glossy finish.

If it doesn't work,  you have to sand it off and start over - that wrecks the time budget.

Also, the choice of wood DOES make a difference - if you start with an oily wood and the initial finish attempt doesn't cure, then you have to sand it off and start over.  That also takes lots of time.  DAMHIKT

I generally use either a lacquer-based friction polish or WOP. but to be safe, I also apply a coat of shellac sanding sealer to seal the wood before using the final finish.

Louie

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 11:01am

Louie Powell wrote on Mar 2nd, 2014 at 8:11am:
Fast finishes are not always the best finishes.

Amen!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 11:32am

Once you have a method down, it's hard to be "faster" than CA for small items like pens and bottle stoppers. It wears very well, too.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 8:12pm

For any oily wood, wipe it down with acetone before finishing to remove the surface oils.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Bernie Weishapl
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Goodland, Kansas, USA
Goodland
Kansas
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 6:31pm

I find that lacquer provides that glass look and can put on many coats in little time.

Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things:  a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2014 at 12:50pm

my grandfather always said there was no such thing as a "quick" way to do a deep finish.   Most finishes are built up in layers, and layers take time..

That being said, some methods are "faster" than others and produce "acceptable" results more quickly than some others.

Grandpa was partial to rubbed oil finishes, and I have always prefered them as well.   Sadly, a truly deep hand-rubbed oil finish takes a VERY long time and can be inpractical for lathe work. 

I've gotten good results with some WOP finishes, and Capt Eddy's "shine-juice" mix can give very nice results with minimal time commitment. 

However, Grandpa had another truism to go with the finish:  Want a glossy finish, you have to start with the sanding.  if there are ANY subpar areas from sanding, the finish will only serve to highlight them.   Spending a few minutes to VERY critically examine the surface before you start with your finish.  Good lighting is a must; if you can get a change of lighting and look under both, that's even better.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Will Boehnlein

WR Rocks!

Raccoon County Ohio, Ohio, USA
Raccoon County Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2014 at 2:51pm

Im new to turning, so take this with a grain of salt.  I find CA to be the "quickest" way to a high gloss finish.  I put on 12 coats, sanding w/800 after 4, 1500 after 8, 3500 after 12, then use Meguier's PlastX polish for a final buff.  Start to "finish", no more than 10 min.  I get a great shine, and a durable finish.  Also, I have found that Dr's Woodshop Oil, Wax, Shellac friction polish is fast to apply, and, while not as high gloss as CA, still gives a nice gloss shine.  Oh, and with CA, I think sanding sealer is your friend!   Just my 2 cents YMMV.   
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2014 at 2:54pm by Will Boehnlein »  

"If ignorance is bliss, you must be the happiest man alive!"- Me, to the guy who rear ended me, flashing lights and all.

IP Logged

Syd Sellers

WR Rocks!

West Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
West Kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2014 at 1:38pm

Will Boehnlein wrote on Mar 8th, 2014 at 2:51pm:
Im new to turning, so take this with a grain of salt.  I find CA to be the "quickest" way to a high gloss finish.  I put on 12 coats, sanding w/800 after 4, 1500 after 8, 3500 after 12, then use Meguier's PlastX polish for a final buff.  Start to "finish", no more than 10 min.  I get a great shine, and a durable finish.  Also, I have found that Dr's Woodshop Oil, Wax, Shellac friction polish is fast to apply, and, while not as high gloss as CA, still gives a nice gloss shine.  Oh, and with CA, I think sanding sealer is your friend!   Just my 2 cents YMMV.   

Will, I had to look to verify that you were a young wood turner, cause us old guys can't remember what coat we are on after the 2nd or 3rd.... But 12 would never happen with me...   Between going to the wash room and having to have a coffee someplace in there, I would be lucky to get 2 coats on before I gave up....

Happy safe turning....

Syd Sellers
Rocky Roost Wood Turning
If it isn't round, it hasn't been turned yet!
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Syd Sellers s.sellers@me.com  
IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2014 at 8:50pm

Syd Sellers wrote on Apr 4th, 2014 at 1:38pm:
I had to look to verify that you were a young wood turner, cause us old guys can't remember what coat we are on after the 2nd or 3rd.... But 12 would never happen with me...

Syd, it might have happened to you you just don't remember.  Grin Grin Grin

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Royce Wallace

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Wichita, Kansas, Kansas, USA
Wichita, Kansas
Kansas
USA

Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2014 at 9:59pm

you want a fast gloss finish? sand to 400gr., spray lacquer from spray cans in small coats amounts, after about  3-4 coats, sanding back with 600 grit, wipe with artificial sand cloth and follow with Mcquires  liguid compound  & yellow wax.   Smiley

IP Logged

Syd Sellers

WR Rocks!

West Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
West Kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2014 at 12:05pm

Len might think this has happened in the past, but if you want a real easy fast finish to an item thats still on the lathe,
sand to 400, put a light coat of Tung oil on it with the lathe still running slowly (less than 100 RPM) work it in with your hand, the friction of your hand will warm it up some, leave this cure for a few hours, then with a 1" foam brush, moisten it with Mineral Spirits, then with the same brush still running slowly wipe on a coat of either Antique Paste Varnish or Wood turners jelly ( they are pretty much the same product). If you see brush marks that you don't like, dip the same brush in your MS and with a light touch smooth out the marks. Let it dry over night. You end up with a real nice shinny finish that is water and alcohol proof. I do this to all my items I make that will be handled a lot. This finish is food safe lasts for years....  Works real nice on goblets and bowls etc...
Clean up is simple as well, MS cleans your brush and anything else with just a wipe....
I think I remember doing this before....

Safe turning...

Syd Sellers
Rocky Roost Wood Turning
If it isn't round, it hasn't been turned yet!
WWW Syd Sellers s.sellers@me.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print