Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Interesting vid on setting up & changing Bandsaw blade (Read 6,757 times)

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Interesting vid on setting up & changing Bandsaw blade
Reply #15 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 9:34pm

Glad to hear you got things set up and running smooth. Now you can set your fence and forget it.
I don't know what type of cutting you or anyone else here does but a word of caution about 3tpi blades. Yes they are good for knocking off corners and roughing logs down to manageable size, but anything  1" or less and it's another story.
Rule of thumb is to have 3 teeth MINIMUM in the stock at any given time, for standard 3/4" stock that means a 4tpi blade. I would say (I'm generalizing here) that a good all around blade for "turners" would be a 4tpi blade.

IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga, Georgia, USA
Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Lindow -White Rose Engine
Reply #16 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 12:57pm

I watched the video several times and downloaded the PDF in the link that Ed provided.

Went out to the shop armed with all of the new knowledge and proceeded to "tune up" the old Rikon 10-325.

WOW!!! What a difference, I didn't know how bad the original setup was until I re-tuned it. Was able to cut some 3/32" veneer slabs from a piece of Mahogany about 4" wide. Consistent thickness all across the width of the veneer. Very little if any drift, now have the rip fence parallel to the guide slots on the table.  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

It is easier to be forgiven than to get permission!

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #17 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 3:56pm

well guys,
when i found this vid i actually was searching for vids on making drawers. i noticed that yes he had carter products shirt on but also noticed he did say this is bot a commercial for carter products. if you want after the demo stay & he would talk to you about carter products. this is a demo on how to tune, adjust a BS & how to change blades to correct for drift.

since i have never done really any flat work or reaLLY AM NOT A EXPERT AT ANY type of flat work machine. when i set up my rikon 10-325 following the mfg's specs on setting & adjusting it i have never been able to cut a nice straight line especially get a nice straight bowl blank from a log.

I like how easily he made it look & using a 1/4" blade too.  on my rikon it really is a bear to adjust the bottom guides crawling under the table. doing it this way maybe a bit of a PITA by taking off the table but at least it seems like a lot easier method then what rikon says to do. so I'm going to give it a shot & by what Ron just said he did his rikon & it cuts a lot better makes me think that mine will also do the same.

i didn't mean to cause strife I( just wanted input from you guys with more experience with wood machines than i have to see what you thought of doing it this way/

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga, Georgia, USA
Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Lindow -White Rose Engine
Reply #18 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 4:07pm

Chuck,
As info, I did NOT remove the table, was able to accomplish what I needed to do by just removing the plate in the center of the table. As you know, the 10-325 guides are not quite as user friendly as the ones in the video.

One other thing that I found out, my tension was waaaaaayyyyyy too tight, I use a 3 tpi, 1/2" Ellis blade for everything.

Good luck!  Thumbs Up

It is easier to be forgiven than to get permission!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #19 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 4:15pm

It's all good Chuck, I'm glad you posted this.
We already have a couple of members that have improved their setup and should make it easier to do so in the future.
I really see no reason to remove the table unless absolutely necessary. You should be able to back off and/or adjust the lower bearings (or guide blocks) to allow enough room to do what ever you need.

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #20 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 7:09pm

Ron & Chuck,
I upgraded my Rikon with carter guides.  A huge difference in performance.  The micro adjustable tool less design is terrific.  The Rikon 10-325 is a great saw but the guides are terrible.  The downside is the Carter guides are pretty pricey.  Oh well, turning has a shop vac on my wallet anyway.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #21 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 9:53pm

Ron Carrabotta wrote on Apr 18th, 2014 at 4:07pm:
my tension was waaaaaayyyyyy too tight

Ron, I found that also.  It makes a big difference.

Chuck, Great post.  It may have caused some "discussion"  But we have all learned from it.  Thanks.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #22 - Apr 19th, 2014 at 9:46am

Len Layman wrote on Apr 18th, 2014 at 9:53pm:
It may have caused some "discussion"  But we have all learned from it.

That  the whole thing in a nut shell. As long as the "discussions" remain friendly, it's all good.  Smiley

Now that some of you have your tools tracking and/or running better, I think you will find that it's much easier to use sleds and jigs.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #23 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 5:33am

Ron,
good to know i really didn't want to take the table off my 10-325. so i'll try doing it without taking it off. even myself being a newbie using a BS i really don't think the rikon guides are very good or that just maybe me not adjusting them correctly ??

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Mike Muirhead
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Joliet, IL, Illinois, USA
Joliet, IL
Illinois
USA

Reply #24 - Jun 29th, 2014 at 6:02pm

Thank you for posting that.  I just got my first band saw last week.  It's used and already set up, but I really didn't have the experience base to know what was set up right or wrong.  That video went a long way towards showing me some things I'll need to know.

IP Logged

Jeff Gilfor

WR Rocks!

Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
Tampa Bay
Florida
USA

Reply #25 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 2:26pm

After ordering my new band saw, I watched this video three times.

When the saw arrived, I set it up as directed in the video, despite the fact that the manual did state that the blade should be centered in the wheel.

The thing cut true and cleanly, and when I change blades, as he said in the video, the alignment stays the same. No readjustment is needed. The gullet is the gullet, regardless of the blade width.

Oh, and +1 for Ellis blades. The only issue is that you must have a minimum order of $50. Get about 5 or 6 blades for that price. Last and cut as well as any Timberwolf blade that costs three times what Ellis charges per blade.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2014 at 2:27pm by Jeff Gilfor »  

"Wood dosn't hit back"... usually.

IP Logged

Jack Hunsucker

I am a part of all that
I have met.

Lawton, Oklahoma, Oklahoma, USA
Lawton, Oklahoma
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #26 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 11:06am

I saw this video earlier this year and my band saw began to cut straight lines for the first time. Great advice

Papajack
http://www.facebook.com/papajack70?ref=profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print