Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to allocate your time (Read 1,753 times)

Jennifer Hasan

WR Rocks!

Beacon, ny, New York, USA
Beacon, ny
New York
USA

How to allocate your time
May 3rd, 2014 at 8:25pm

I'm having trouble managing my time. I sell on ETSY and at three stores in the area. I'm also planning on attending a festival in August.

When I go into my studio, I often don't know what to work on first. Originally, I worked on items where I collected 100% of my fees (ETSY items), then on the items that I take to the stores. My thinking is that I do what makes me the most money first. Since I have to split fees with shop owners, those items make me less money so I work on those items last. Now that I have to create items for the show, I don't know how to allocate my time.

How do you guys manage your time? Is building a local following via selling in stores, important?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jenn

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Re: How to allocate your time
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2014 at 8:36pm

Jenn.  I turn what i enjoy most.  That varies from time to time. I do get orders for stuff and then i turn that.  I don't want turning to ever become a "must turn" thing.  I do it for the enjoyment and if I make a few bucks and can buy a new tool all the better.

Just my opinion.  Plus I really su(k at time management anyways.  Smiley Smiley

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2014 at 6:33am

Once you commit to a show, I would make that first priority until you are fully stocked. But in general, do you sell pretty much the same items at each place?  If so, why not build an inventory first and then pick which items to sell at each place?  And then you replace whatever sells.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2014 at 8:11am

I turn so I can get the most done in the time allotted.
If I have 3 hours, and can get 5 projects done, or one, I get the 5 done. Then I get to working on the time eater.
At least I have 5 smaller items ready to go when I am out of time for the day.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2014 at 8:12am by John Cepko »  

IP Logged

Don Davis

Safety first!

Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Stillwater
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2014 at 9:28am

They say that advice is usually worth what you pay for it.
so you can send me a check if you would really like to.....  Grin

Anyway..... pay some attention to what Len, Mike and John have said. Whichever way you go, don't let it overwhelm the joy you get from turning... even if it might be your main source of income. If you are not enjoying what you are doing then it just is not worth it. I guess what I am saying is that you should turn the items you enjoy, when you feel like it. Nothing says you can't sell on-line and locally at the same time but I personally would not let it become something I had to worry about "allocating my time". The only exception to that, I guess, would be if woodturning is your sole (or main) source of revenue.

IP Logged

Jennifer Hasan

WR Rocks!

Beacon, ny, New York, USA
Beacon, ny
New York
USA

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2014 at 2:36pm

I do want to become a full-time woodturner so I need to be as efficient as possible. I just struggling with establishing priorities. I have a huge list of items I need to make and often wonder if I could be more working smarter.

I also struggle with the marketing aspect. As a former marketing executive, I know what I need to do. It is just a huge time sink to do it right. Uploading photos, writing compelling summaries, taking good photos, figuring out shipping, etc. I just hate it. It will be the first thing I delegate when I have enough money.

Jenn

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2014 at 12:30pm

Jennifer Hasan wrote on May 4th, 2014 at 2:36pm:
I also struggle with the marketing aspect. As a former marketing executive, I know what I need to do. It is just a huge time sink to do it right. Uploading photos, writing compelling summaries, taking good photos, figuring out shipping, etc. I just hate it. It will be the first thing I delegate when I have enough money.

Sounds like youv'e already made a choice. ETSY is out cause it takes time away from fun turning. And will you ever have enough money?

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga, Georgia, USA
Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Lindow -White Rose Engine
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2014 at 6:41pm

Jennifer,

What items that you produce provide the most return for your invested time?

Those are the items that I would work on first.

Ron C

It is easier to be forgiven than to get permission!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print