Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bees wax (Read 1,534 times)

John Nicholson

Tucson, Arizona

bees wax
May 18th, 2014 at 2:22pm

I just brought some bees wax, I believe I was told it was good for putting on a good finish.

I guess I don't know how to use it.
It came in bars, I applied with a slow speed and a fast speed. Then tried to polish off the excess.
I never got a smooth coating.

Is it me, or is the product not meant to be used for a finish.

When you just can't stop-duck tape and paper towel-the best band-aid!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Derek Goins

Solon, Ohio, USA
Solon
Ohio
USA

Re: bees wax
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2014 at 3:39pm

I mix mine with a little mineral oil to give it a paste wax consistency...you need to melt the beeswax in a double boiler or similiar.  Work pretty well for some projects.  I've been using it more for my natural edge mushrooms to retain the rustic look.  I think it's about 1 wax to 5 parts oil ratio...but I just eyed my first batch

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #2 - May 18th, 2014 at 4:07pm

I got my lump of bee's wax from a honey farm. Just hold the lump on the work piece to transfer some wax then use a shop towel folded up to friction melt the wax into the wood. Most times I use mineral oil to sand first then apply the bee's wax on top and melt in. It gives me a soft mat finish that is very easy to maintain. my 0.02 worth.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - May 18th, 2014 at 4:36pm

Beeswax has its place but it is really to soft for a good lasting finish. Its needs to be reapplied very often and doesn't help with any protection.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2014 at 6:41pm

My experience is the same as Rons.
I did mix up some as Derek suggested in a double broiler but I used turpentine instead of mineral oil as I thought mineral oil never cured.
You have to work with it a bit to get the thickness you want (catsup?); so you have to let it cool and add a little more wax or solvent, reheat, and cool again.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

John_Voloudakis

Boston South Shore, Massachusetts, USA
Boston South Shore
Massachusetts
USA

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2014 at 9:07am

Only place I use it is on the inside of goblets meant to be used.  After finishing with walnut oil, I scrape some off the bar with a knife into the goblet, then gently heat it with a heat gun and swirl it around until it covers the inside evenly.  Seems to help make it a bit more water resistant. 

-John

IP Logged

mike jones

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2014 at 1:22pm

Ron Sardo is right about the lack of durability of bees wax.  It's been used for centuries on bowls, however, and by many bowl turners.  For the salad bowl that is only used "for company" ( a few times a year) it is quite adequate. In my own experience, a beeswax finish has held up better than a walnut oil finish.

Mike Mills is right about turpentine for the solvent to liquefy the wax.  "Turps" is a natural solvent made from trees. Unlike mineral spirits, it's biodegradable, non-toxic, non-carcinogenic, and is the solvent of choice for fine arts.

50/50 is the ratio that I was taught, and if you are patient, the turps will dissolve the wax without warming/melting the wax.

If you are looking for "organic", "earth-friendly", "environmentally conscious", and "food safe"....the turpentine/beeswax finish could not be beat.

IP Logged

John Nicholson

Tucson, Arizona

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2014 at 1:34pm

thanks all
it sounds like bees wax isn't needed or have a great advantage to it.

glad I only paid a couple of dollars for the sticks.

Shouldn't checked first bee for buying.

When you just can't stop-duck tape and paper towel-the best band-aid!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print