Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How do I finish sonokeling for a bathroom? (Read 2,644 times)

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: How do I finish sonokeling for a bathroom?
Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2014 at 2:11pm

I'm guessing this is one single piece of wood and not a glued up slab.
Can you offer some dimensions along with how the sink will be inserted?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Dee Kuo
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2014 at 5:38pm

Yes, this is one single piece of wood that has had some patches made to it along the center; it is not butterflied. It has two live edges, is approx. 1.5-1.75" thick, varies anywhere from 16-22" front to back, and is 94" in length (to be cut to approx 80"). It will have a vessel sink that sits on top with a faucet to the side.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #17 - May 23rd, 2014 at 7:22pm

I bet its going to be nice. Slabs that size is hard to come by in the States. I'd like to see a photo sometime. I have an acoustic guitar whose back and sides are made from East Indian Rosewood so I know its an attractive wood.

Was the slab kiln dried then properly stored before it was finished? If so, East Indian Rosewood is pretty stable. As I said earlier make sure both sides of the slab is finished, especially if its sitting on a closed cabinet. If it is on a cabinet leave the doors open for a few months so the finish can gas out (cure), otherwise the inside will smell of finish for the rest of your life.

I'm thinking at 1.5" x 16" x 80" its going to weigh roughly 700lbs so you are not going to have to worry about anchoring it down. If you do just anchor it at the center so both sides can expand and contract. And if the slab wasn't cut to close to the center cupping shouldn't be a problem.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Dee Kuo
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #18 - May 24th, 2014 at 1:30am

It's actually a nice piece, and the finishers did a good job of filling in the natural "valleys" in the heartwood. As far as I know, East Indian Rosewood is often used by guitar makers.

Yes, the slab was properly kiln dried, and I'm relieved to hear that means it's likely to be pretty stable. As I mentioned before, it's  been rubbed with that mix of tung, linseed, and danish oil. Only because I'm using it in a bathroom is there any concern; there would be no issue if it were going to be used as a table, for example.

Also, it's not that heavy at all. The current weight is, I believe, about 80+ lbs. It will be anchored to the wall on one corner and the other end will "float" with an angle iron anchored inside the wall underneath to support it. The slab is a full cross section of the tree, sapwood to sapwood.

If I knew for certain that water-based poly would pose no problem, since that's what the finisher would like to use, this would be easy. However, my general understanding—and what I've been hearing—is generally it's oil to oil, and water to water, not to mention that water-based poly can haze and/or peel.

IP Logged

Dee Kuo
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #19 - May 24th, 2014 at 1:35am

Or, as you mentioned, tung oil should be sufficient. The finisher says the poly will also make the surface less flat and "dull" but not high gloss and "plastic" looking. From what I've seen, a matte finish looks great on this wood.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #20 - May 24th, 2014 at 6:04am

Dee Kuo wrote on May 24th, 2014 at 1:30am:
Also, it's not that heavy at all. The current weight is, I believe, about 80+ lbs.

Yes you are right, bad math on my part (I mixed up board ft and cubic ft).

Dee Kuo wrote on May 24th, 2014 at 1:30am:
and what I've been hearing—is generally it's oil to oil, and water to water, not to mention that water-based poly can haze and/or peel.

Yes that is the standard along with dewaxed shellac can go under, in-between or on top of any finish while regular shellac can only go over any finish.

IP Logged

Dee Kuo
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #21 - May 24th, 2014 at 7:33am

I suppose the ideal would be to apply dewaxed shellac over the current oil application, then use Waterlox, since shellac does not really protect and is not alcohol resistant. At least, that's what I've been able to gather.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dee Kuo
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #22 - May 24th, 2014 at 7:59am

Also, thanks to Mike; I missed his earlier reply.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print