Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Display advice needed (Read 1,293 times)

Jennifer Hasan

WR Rocks!

Beacon, ny, New York, USA
Beacon, ny
New York
USA

Display advice needed
May 25th, 2014 at 12:12pm

I'm designing my craftshow booth and am struggling with how to display my items. I need shelves or a tier system that is easy to assemble/disassemble. I'll be going to shows by myself so I need something light an easy to carry.

I was thinking about buying some nice ladders and inserting boards to function as shelves. This would give me a tiered system that is easy to build and break down. i'd also be able to carry everything. But it would probably look awful. Wood crates on a table is also an idea but that too doesn't communicate high-end merchandise.

Any advice?

Jenn

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Re: Display advice needed
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2014 at 12:41pm

This may be helpful. It depends on what you are displaying. We have a lot of table items so we use the foldable resin tables (from Walmart) and have cut legs extensions out of PVC pipe to raise them about 6 to 8 inches, and then made fitted table cloths to fit. These hide the legs, AND give us a lot of room to store totes and the like during the show.

I made a set of riser tiers out of MDF, but I have to tell you that they are very heavy and awkward. I keep telling myself I am going to make some foldable risers, but I never get motivated until I have a show to do and then it is too late.

Found some pictures - I understand this may not suit your set up, but they may be helpful.

One other word of advice if you have never done craft shows before, a lot of it is about getting in and out as efficiently as possible - at least for us it is. If you can come up with a system that lets you get in and out with only one or two trips of "the cart", you will be much happier, IMHO. If you have small items (pens for me), anything that allows you to store and display in the same vehicle adds to the efficiency.

For bowls, which we are doing more of than when we started, we are trying to find a better way - they take up a lot of table space.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2014 at 12:57pm by Tony Rozendaal »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 2012-11-11_09_43_59.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 2012-11-11_09_44_14.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 2012-11-11_09_44_31.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2014 at 2:00pm

You might consider visiting as many shows as possible immediately to see displays in use, and ask about the ease of one person setup.

If you have a woodworker friend, a torsion box table is extremely light.  A good dimension is 2' x 8' in a 10'x10' booth space.  To support the torsion box table, make a half length notch down the middle of four 2' x 4' 1/2" plywood pieces so they slip together to make X's 4' high.  These are also very light and quick and easy to set up and take down.  They are hidden by the tablecloth extending to the ground, and storage space under the table can be extremely helpful.

The immediate question that comes to mind with ladders and similar shelf arrangements is how to set up and take down without help.  Of course, most show participants are quite happy to help each other, but in a pinch . . .

But again, visit some shows to survey your options first hand.  If you have to limit yourself to tables initially, better than buying solutions that have problems.

IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga, Georgia, USA
Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Powermatic 3520B
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2014 at 9:39am

Jennifer,

We "borrowed" this idea from the booth next to us at our last show:

Get two bi-fold louvered doors at HD
Take out louvers at the top, bottom, middle and 3 other places so they are about 1 foot apart. Just make sure that the louvers that you take out are directly opposite on both sets of doors.
Get 6 1"x6"x6' pine boards.
The pine boards are inserted into the space where the missing louvers were while the bi-fold door is in a "V" position.  V-------V.
This gives you 6 easy to take apart and re-assemble shelves that are light weight and very portable.

I'd post a picture but since I got this new laptop, I can't figure out how to shrink the size so I can post. Sad

Ron

It is easier to be forgiven than to get permission!

IP Logged

Jennifer Hasan

WR Rocks!

Beacon, ny, New York, USA
Beacon, ny
New York
USA

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2014 at 9:52am

Ron, interesting concept. I will look into how much this would cost to build.

Thanks,

Jenn

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2014 at 9:03am

I lucked out when Macy's closed their store here.  They were selling their fixtures.   I got 5 brass & glass shelves for $12.  The shelves are made of 1/2" brass colored tubes and stand 40 & 58" tall, 18" square.  They can be broken down for transport.  The one downside is that the shelves are 1/4" tempered glass and weighs a ton!  I made 2 wooden boxes to carry them, because all in one box was too heavy to carry.  Then we have a couple of tables for the back of the tent.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print