Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Photo work
Jul 12th, 2014 at 10:48pm

I'm looking to improve the pictures of my work.  I have looked in the TPT section here.  Lots of help there.  How ever I'm wondering what others think about a setup such as this link.  I don't have a lot of time to create something similar I'd rather purchase one.Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Photo work
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 11:54am

A tabletop photo tent setup, like the one you linked to, can certainly help. They provide a controlled (and repeatable) lighting environment which helps to eliminate, or at least reduce unwanted effects like bright spots or shadows. I'm sure many members here use, or at least started with, a similar setup.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 12:25pm

The biggest problem with that setup is the lights aren't strong enough.

You really need a couple hundred watts of light  to do it right. The temperature of light will
also determine how well your images come out.

You want to look for lighting that is in the 5000º -5600º degree color range:

Also, you need to put a color checker chart into and image so you can get the right white balance so the colors are accurate.

Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2014 at 12:31pm by Ralph Fahringer »  

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 12:51pm

According to the importer, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, the bulbs are 5000K and they are LED, so they put out more light than a 100 watt incandescent bulb.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 2:02pm

Just sayin', I had one of these and the lights are barely enough. They might be the temp but they are small lights so they won't  give you a nice wide beam to make the tent act as a diffuser. They end up as a slightly diffused hot spot with alot of drop off.

To get them back far enough so the beam covers the whole side, you end up with not enough light inside as they are now too far away.

It's not just the temp and the wattage but how much of that wattage is transmitted onto the piece inside the tent. You would be better off building a couple of mid size soft boxes. About 2' square with a bank of fluorescent lights using 5500K bulbs.

Just for info sake, here's my studio where I shoot art and stuff:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2014 at 2:02pm by Ralph Fahringer »  

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 3:59pm

Based on the listing it show that the lamps are 120V 50W GU10 bulbs, these are halogen spot lights. Led lamps are 120V 5W GU10.

These bulbs give a tight beam of light so they might be okay for small items such as pendants and earrings.

IMO you should pass on this product. It would be like buying cheap tools for the lathe that will only frustrate you instead of helping you gain proficiency. 

For less than $200 this would be a better starter setup.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

(Through our bookstore powered by Amazon)

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2014 at 11:29am

I was mostly looking at the tent itself. Any comments there ?  I plan on getting a gradient backdrop. [Maybe powered by Amazon.]  For lighting I guess I'll have to look around and experiment.
   I'd like to find a camera that's not too expensive or difficult to set up.  The one I have is eratic I never know if a shot will take and the SD card is enormous and won't fit any printer nor can I buy a new SD card that fits.

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2014 at 11:36am

Ron, that'll do nicely!! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2014 at 2:22pm

Guy Bratt wrote on Jul 14th, 2014 at 11:29am:
I was mostly looking at the tent itself.

In photography you need to get the background as far away from the item you are photographing as possible.

Even at 24" x 24" a small 6" bowl would be sticking out of the cube defeating the intended use of the tent.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2014 at 3:58pm

I got one of these and I like the backdrop.  For larger wall hanging pieces, I still do those as one-offs.  I have used the 24x24x24 for pieces up to 18 inches tall. Thumbs Up

Tom

PS - the lights will work, however I will upgrade them as soon as I find some better something like what Ron mentioned above, but smaller Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Jeff Gilfor

WR Rocks!

Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
Tampa Bay
Florida
USA

Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 3:06pm

I have that same kit, and the lights are barely adequate for my purposes. Still, the price is right, even considering that the lights need replacement.
The one I purchased looks identical, except that it comes as a fold up kit that fits into a nice black portfolio-looking case. The thing holds together with Velcro along the edges of the walls and floor.

"Wood dosn't hit back"... usually.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print