Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Giorgio - the turning... C &C's ... the returning?? (Read 1,251 times)

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Giorgio - the turning... C &C's ... the returning??
Aug 20th, 2014 at 10:13am

This may look like something I "found" in my backyard after a brilliant flash of light and some unaccountable “loss of time” after enduring a 12-hour marathon of “Ancient Aliens” on the history channel Shocked …  but it actually was a plan to make something like this  (as far as the loss of time, it still occurred… Grin).  I was inspired by Nick Agar’s work, and the look of something other than wood, but with the textures of wood.

This piece is a full 23 inches in diameter (about the capacity of my lathe), 2 inches thick at the edge and is intended to hang on a wall.  It is make of Ash and is a collection of turning, carving, burning, texturing, painting, eroding, and gilding.  I don’t think I have any more tricks in the bag….  All together it is what I call, “Giorgio”, after Giorgio Tsoukalos (if you don’t know him, go ahead and google him).

So… tell me what you think.  Do I find a wall and hang it for all to see, or do I wait to be abducted by "gray aliens" and taken away into the sky? Cheesy
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2014 at 3:37pm by Tom Coghill »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Giorgio_Very_small.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Giorgio_on_Lathe_Vsmall.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Giorgio_Edge_VSmall.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Giorgio_Detail_Very_Small.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

john Taylor
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Re: Giorgio - the turning... C &C's ... the returning??
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 10:32am

That looks suspiciously like a component of the hyper-plasma drive on a Skeerat scout craft.  Where did you find it?  There were rumblings of a scout crashing a month or so ago and the mother ship left near space last week without recovering the craft.  They'll be back - and searching.  Hang it on a wall far from you unless you want to explain to them where you got it.

How's that for Men in Black?   Grin  Beautiful work.

IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 12:01pm

The circular shape with the white colored center transitioning to a light blue and a dark center are reminiscent of an eye.  Yet the notches around the circumference are noteworthy of and give it a shield appearance.  The gilding and symbology also give it an ancient look but the eye has a fresher appearance.  I guess what I’m saying is it has a mixed message, some old some new.    I like the center detail and the outer edge treatment.  I am not a fan of the white and blue area.  Maybe if it were distressed some.  Your skill in all the different treatments are evident and I praise your efforts.  Well done!  Its cool!  Yes hang it on your wall!

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Supporter

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 4:01pm

I'm not sure if I like it, but the workmanship and imagination that you put into it are incredible!

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 4:02pm

John and Walt,

Thanks for the feedback. I needed to test some treatments and this was my first use of an airbrush.  I can see that tool will get more use ...

Maybe I should market these turnings at a more suitable location ...  Roll Eyes

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Ale_inn.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 4:57pm

I like this a lot and I am very impressed.  If I wasn't impressed, I would tell you that it looks a lot like a park-lock gear from a 2290 Case tractor.... but then, none of the "teeth" are broken off, so maybe not so much.

Everything is really cool but I really like the little illegible (at least to me) squiggles around the center.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Roger Courtney

WR Rocks!

Pretoria, South Africa
Pretoria
South Africa

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2014 at 1:09am

Tom this is one of the best turned art I have seen in a long time simply spectacular well done Regards Roger C Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Africa is not for sissies

IP Logged

Don French

WR Rocks!

stanhope, New Jersey, USA
stanhope
New Jersey
USA

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 11:40pm

You got part of the STAR GATE their comeing for you .looks great .

IP Logged

Don Davis
WR Patron

Safety first!

Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Stillwater
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 9:23am

Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Now, sell it to Giorgio!!!

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 11:12am

Thumbs Up

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Giorgio.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print