Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Plywood
Aug 21st, 2014 at 9:44am

For those of you who do flat-work, or anyone who needs more options in plywood products.
This is very good news  Smiley
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jenny Trice
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Re: Plywood
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 5:33pm

Have you tried this yet?  Wondering if it is as good as it sounds, how thick is the veneer and are they carrying this same stuff in the HD stores?

IP Logged

Buck Nemitt
WR Addict

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 5:46pm

Home Depot is an hour from me and next time I'm that way I plan on checking the ply out. I'd like to get a piece to try on my toy wood vehicles.

What the heck,Give it a try---

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 8:12pm

Go to the website in the link I posted and you can request samples.
I should get mine soon, I'll post a review or pics or something

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 11:35am

Time for my promised review.
I received my samples a couple of days ago and like most people I like getting free samples. I opened the box which was adequately packed, a piece of bubble pack was used to keep the samples from shifting and all were in good condition. Each sample was shrink wrapped in clear plastic accompanied be a product brochure.
On the Columbia Forrest Products Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, plywood is separated into two basic categories, Faces and Cores.
I received two Face samples and two Core samples. The face samples are from their Appalachian Traditions™ line, in Laurelton Birch and Madison Cherry, pic 1. These two samples are 1/2" thick with one face finished with a clear coating.
The cherry sample had a defect in the finished face, about the size of a quarter, pic 2. I was surprised that this was an acceptable finished product, especially a sample. The defect is unsightly and not patched well at all, leaving voids in an otherwise smooth surface.
The next two samples are MPX® core and Europly PLUS® lines. I chose Maple and Walnut respectively, pics 3 & 4..
Both of these samples came finished with a clear UV finish on both faces. In the case of the MPX core this makes it difficult, if not impossible to evaluate their claims of how well it accepts a finish.
The europly plus is basically baltic birch plywood with some different face veneers available.
The Home Depot website currently only offers a Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register of what is available from CFP. There are other retailers that carry their products that can be found on the CFP site.

Although this program is in it's early stages, there are things that need to be addressed IMO.
While the actual products have many positive qualities, as noted in their literature, figuring out what face and what core and what finish is all a bit of a maze.
It can get quite confusing trying to wade through every trade marked name, process and environmental standard for each product, CARB, LEED®, FSC®, PureBond, and the list goes on and on.
At this point it is unclear exactly what product is sold through HD's website. I will be sending CFP an email inquiring about these things.
In conclusion, I would have to say I have mixed feeling about this product and it's availability. I hope to learn more soon.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register B_C_surfaces__527_x_600_.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Surface_defect-3__600_x_306_.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register W_M__600_x_359_.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register W_M_plys__387_x_600_.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Addict

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2014 at 3:59pm

Thanks for the update...

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print