Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help needed from you camera buffs (Read 4,025 times)

Syd Sellers

WR Rocks!

West Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
West Kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Help needed from you camera buffs
Aug 24th, 2014 at 12:20pm

I'm no expert when it comes to taking pics of the quality I see on this forum. So I have to ask a "How To" question. When I take a pic of two glasses or for that matter two of anything side by side they never look good. In this pic, these glasses are the same hight, size and shape, but as you see they look pretty bad. How does one fix this issue??
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2014 at 12:34pm by Syd Sellers »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register newDSC01871.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Syd Sellers
Rocky Roost Wood Turning
If it isn't round, it hasn't been turned yet!
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Syd Sellers s.sellers@me.com  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Help needed from you camera buffs
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 12:45pm

Glass is one of the harder things to photograph.

Get the background as far from the main object as possible, I'm talking at least three feet away.

Use a longer lens and place the camera at least three feet away from the main object

You'll need a way to filter the lights to soften the edges and keep a close eye on what shows through the glass (the background). The highlights and shadows that fall on the glass are important to consider.

Backgrounds with seams are never a good idea.
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2014 at 12:50pm by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Syd Sellers

WR Rocks!

West Kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 2:40pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Aug 24th, 2014 at 12:45pm:
Glass is one of the harder things to photograph.

Get the background as far from the main object as possible, I'm talking at least three feet away.

Use a longer lens and place the camera at least three feet away from the main object

You'll need a way to filter the lights to soften the edges and keep a close eye on what shows through the glass (the background). The highlights and shadows that fall on the glass are important to consider.

Backgrounds with seams are never a good idea.

Thanks Ron, here is my set up...Background 3' from glasses, 55mm lens on camera and set to Auto Focus. Not extra light in the first. As soon as I add light, the reflections in the glass are bad. Took several with added light and fill flash.

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2014 at 2:47pm by Syd Sellers »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register newDSC01940.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register newDSC01941.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register newDSC01942.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register newDSC01943.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Syd Sellers
Rocky Roost Wood Turning
IP Logged

Syd Sellers

WR Rocks!

West Kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 2:43pm

The last ones are with a 75mm lens with added light.
The last one has added light and flash.
I like the 75mm lens but what should I do with lights???
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2014 at 2:46pm by Syd Sellers »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register newDSC01944.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register newDSC01945.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Syd Sellers
Rocky Roost Wood Turning
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 3:11pm

I think the third one (DCS01942) looks best.  The last ones are getting too much refraction from the glass causing the yellow at the bottom.
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2014 at 3:11pm by JimQuarles »  

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 3:54pm

I like the way the glass looks in DCS01942 and the stems in DCS01940.

The angle in DCS01945 is best, see how the rim looks like a thin oval? That is what you want to accomplish.

If you can get the background in DCS01940 to look like DCS01942 you will be going in the right direction.

You might need a tent to get rid of those reflections.

I'm still not crazy about the line between the table and background, its too distracting.
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2014 at 3:56pm by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Syd Sellers

WR Rocks!

West Kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 8:43pm

Thanks Ron, I'm going to set things up again in the AM and see if I can get enough natural light to do away with my very poor light set up. I will cover the table with a similar type of cover as the background. I will shorten the depth of field so everything after the glasses will be out of focus and soft.
Getting this type of help is fantastic!!!
Thanks Ron.  Pics in the AM

Syd Sellers
Rocky Roost Wood Turning
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 1:50pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Aug 24th, 2014 at 3:54pm:
I'm still not crazy about the line between the table and background, its too distracting.

I was thinking the same.
Syd Sellers wrote on Aug 24th, 2014 at 8:43pm:
I will cover the table with a similar type of cover as the background.

Syd, if possible, use the same cloth. What I mean is hang it on the wll , or whatever vertical backdrop you use an continue it across the table. One continuous piece.
Example

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Backdrop__400_x_348_.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 2:40pm

Yeah, I'd get rid of the flash units and go with continuous lighting in a softbox or some sort of diffuser in front of the lights.

The lighting needs to be as diffuse as possible to help cut down on reflections.

Then try to expose for the wood. Image 1944 is a good exposure of the wood.

Also, shoot a white board so you can white balance the shots in the computer so the colors are correct.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Syd Sellers

WR Rocks!

West Kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 4:27pm

Well Guys, I've been trying all day to get this set up to work.... It's really awful. So I have to spend some money to get this to happen. You must also appreciate the fact that this is Rocky Mountain House, Alberta...   If Calgary is the AH of Alberta, we are 2.5 hours up it, so going and picking up what I need is no easy trick.
In order to get the distances  Ron was using, this tent/booth has to be 6-8 ft. long tall enough to stand or do you sit when you are doing this kind of work?
Make me a list of what should do this job. May take me a few weeks to assemble this stuff and remember, it has to be easy to set up and take down cause it fills the shop!!!

Syd Sellers
Rocky Roost Wood Turning
IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 9:56am

You don't need the "tent" to be the size of an actual camping tent.  The tent only needs to be large enough for the pieces to sit comfortably. Something around 3' square with an opening to shoot thru  would work.

The idea of a tent is to diffuse the light and try to remove the  table line as well as the images reflected in the glass from everything behind you AND you.

This thing should be able to be set up on a kitchen table or such.

That being said, remember that a diffuser tent or any diffuser material will reduce the amount of light hitting the piece so 100 watt bulbs won't do. Not sure if anyone still sells them but 500w flood lights would work. I see that B&H Camera in NYC does.

Even 250w bulbs  would work and remember to have the camera on a tripod.

IP Logged

Syd Sellers

WR Rocks!

West Kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #11 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 10:41am

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Aug 26th, 2014 at 9:56am:
You don't need the "tent" to be the size of an actual camping tent.  The tent only needs to be large enough for the pieces to sit comfortably. Something around 3' square with an opening to shoot thru  would work.

The idea of a tent is to diffuse the light and try to remove the  table line as well as the images reflected in the glass from everything behind you AND you.

This thing should be able to be set up on a kitchen table or such.

That being said, remember that a diffuser tent or any diffuser material will reduce the amount of light hitting the piece so 100 watt bulbs won't do. Not sure if anyone still sells them but 500w flood lights would work. I see that B&H Camera in NYC does.

Even 250w bulbs  would work and remember to have the camera on a tripod.

Thanks Ralph, you bring up a good point. Incandescent light bulbs have been band in Canada so I was trying the new Daylight LED floods but the light output is very low as compared to the old 250-500 watt lamps and I'm sure they aren't the same K value either. Is there a substitute??

We have a nice sunny day here today so I am going to give it a go with sunlight and see what happens.

Syd Sellers
Rocky Roost Wood Turning
IP Logged

Syd Sellers

WR Rocks!

West Kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #12 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 11:57am

Sunny day today, so I set up outside and took a few shots. I know I still have problems, but am I getting closer to the solution?  First 2 are with a 55mm lens F5.6 Last 2 with a 75mm lens f5.6.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register newDSC01954.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register newDSC01955.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register newDSC01956.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register newDSC01957.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Syd Sellers
Rocky Roost Wood Turning
IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #13 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 1:17pm

If you are going to shoot outside, you can even use a sheet for a diffusing "tent". 

Also, the further away from the backdrop, the softer the shadows.

By the way... I really like the wood bases!!  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 1:22pm

Here's the first of that group #1954, color balanced:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print