Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best way to cut a recess for a chuck (Read 801 times)

Richard Wilabee

WR Rocks!

Palm Springs Area, California, California, USA
Palm Springs Area, California
California
USA

Best way to cut a recess for a chuck
Aug 24th, 2014 at 4:48pm

I'm fairly new to wood turning.  Most of the time I am just making small projects.  I'm trying to figure out which is best when working with a bowl blank that will be finished turned using the expanding jaws of a chuck.  Do you put a face place on the opposite end then cut the recess
for the chuck or put the bowl blank between centers and then cut the recess for the chuck.
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2014 at 4:48pm by Richard Wilabee »  

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: Best way to cut a recess for a chuck
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 5:04pm

I generally put the wood between centers and cut a tenon rather than a recess.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Jerry Marcantel
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Tucson, Arizona, Arizona, USA
Tucson, Arizona
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 5:05pm

Richard, you can use whatever works. Face plate, spur, chuck, friction plate in your chuck, or a Chuck Plate.... Jerry (in Tucson)

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 7:19pm

If your blank is secured to a screw faceplate or traditional faceplate, you can true up the surface of what will be the bottom and then make the recess with a forstner bit (using a chuck in the tail stock) or turn the recess.  If the latter, some will use a skew as a scraper, a parting tool, or use a tool specifically shaped to make a recess with a slight dovetail.  And if you drill the recess you might want to add a slight dovetail.  Like one of the earlier posters, I use tenons.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 7:44pm

I prefer the recess. I have some bowl turning clips up here in the video section, and on You Tube if you type in robo hippy. I prefer the specialized dove tail tools and a dedicated compass (glued into place) for an exact fit. I drill a recess in the top so no face plate, and the chuck stays on.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 8:20am

I use a recess most of the time.  My chucks are Novas and they suggest 1" of wood remaining around the recess.
How you hold the opposite end doesn't really matter but a faceplace, wormscrew, ect. allows you to remove the tailstock to form the recess.  I have done it with a drive spur many times but you have to work around your live center if the recesses is small. (2" or <).
Whether it is dovetail or straight depends on your chuck jaws.
If you are using a faceplate or similar holding bring the tailstock back up a remark the dimple if you removed it.  You will want it later.

Nova jaws are made from a billet then split into quarters which removes about 2mm of material.
I cut the recess so the jaws when fully closed will fit in.  Expansion will bring the jaws back out to a true circle.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Expansion_Recess_004.jpg (Attachment deleted)

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 2:24pm

Richard

I saw from another post that you were turning on a shopsmith.   Been there and done that.

Keep your bowls and such smallish and use the live center in the tailstock as long as practical.   Avoid extending the quill any further than the minimum.

Even with the double bearing conversion, that 5/8 shaft quill is not very rigid.

IP Logged

Kenn Harris

WR Fan!

Bellingham, WA, Washington, USA
Bellingham, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 7:42pm

I totally agree with Mike...I've used the same methods a number of times and the only time I had a problem was when I used less than 1" of wood on the outside of the recessed tenon.  Lesson learned early on and since then, ever recessed tenon (?) has worked perfectly.  Additionally, I use the 'recessed' area to enclose a medallion or some other artwork to dress up the recess and make the recess more artistic.  Just a little 'dress up' for an otherwise skipped area of your turning!  Safe turning to you always!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print