Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disappointment with SWAT (Read 1,028 times)

Wes Murphy

WR Rocks!

Rapid City, South Dakota, USA
Rapid City
South Dakota
USA

Disappointment with SWAT
Aug 28th, 2014 at 8:17pm

Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn, but this years SWAT was a terrible disappointment for me. With a few exceptions the demonstrators, at least the ones I saw, were simply mediocre at best. One of the better demonstration I saw was on the vendor floor.  Stuart Batty was very good in his bowl turning, tool sharping, and why he did things one way and not another. Al Hockenbury was was very good, as was Scott Hackler.  Next, the food was absolutely awful.  The imitation smoke flavor of the meat was almost more then I could take.  Although I now live in South Dakota, I was born and raised in Bellmead, a Waco suburb and it's disheartening for me to think the barbecue beef served was the best Waco could supply.  The brisket served at the banquet was some the worst I've ever experienced; the coleslaw was, for me, inedible and the scalloped potatoes, if that's what they were, was an experience.   To all the visitors to Waco, we can and should have done better. Perhaps your experiences were better, but this will most likely be the last SWAT I will attend.  Even thought it is more expensive, I'll be attending the Utah Symposium in the future.  Just had to vent a little.

wes.murphy2  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Cliff De Witt
WR Devotee

DeSoto, TX, Texas, USA
DeSoto, TX
Texas
USA

Re: Disappointment with SWAT
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2014 at 12:28pm

I agree, in the 5 years that I have got this year was the worst.
I would sit through any of Al Hockenbery's demos again and I would travel just about anywhere to see, James Duxbury he and his wife were fantastic.

I will look forward to Bill Rosener's magazine article, he gave a very good verbal rendition of it at SWAT. Being there was not much better than reading it. Somehow he seemed not to know the difference between demo and lecture with slides and music.

The Critique was a joke, with Stewart Batty, Molly Winton, and Lyle Jameison on the sales floor the folks that did the critique were second best in the room at best.

The three vendors that I went with money to see were not there, G-way, Craft Supply (they were almost there), and Robust all lost sales and fortunately I kept some money in my pocket.

I have already spoke to Craig at Woodworld here in Dallas and next year they will have a real top notch bunch of demo's in there booth. Molly will be back of course, Hopefully Craig from easy wood will be back with him rather than Craft Supply and HOPEFULLY Jimmy Clews will be in Woodworld's booth.

I am already excited.

I had an opportunity to get a free ticket to Rudy Lopez's class in Dallas later that week, I chose to go to work instead.

One of my biggest fears is that my widow will sell all my toys based on what I told her I paid for them.

Matthew 25:45

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print