WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Varnish?
Sep 2nd, 2014 at 9:02am

Back when we built our house 36 years ago I finished the interior doors with Colony Satin Varnish.   I'm getting ready to redo the doors... mostly clean them up with mineral spirits and steel wool and reapply a coat of finish.   I can't seem to find "varnish" any more.   Has it been replaced with the poly type finishes?   My understanding is that the old varnish didn't have the "plastic" components.     Any suggestions on what I can put over the existing finish?

THanks!

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Varnish?
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 9:47am

Pretty much anything that was called varnish, in now a type of polyurethane. Poly's have a harder finish when cured. If you want a true, classic varnish you may need to make your own, there are many recipes online
These days there is also the choice between oil and water based, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register is something that might work for you, or even Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 1:38pm

Look for a Spar Urethane. I used Helmsman 10 years ago and it still holding up. YMMV

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 3:09pm

Thanks guys.   You confirmed what I thought.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print