Rick Howard

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Lacquer help
Sep 10th, 2014 at 3:17pm

This is my first experience with brushing lacquer.  I just don't use lacquer product often to begin with.  Just like turning different types of wood.  I like to experience different types of finishing also.

Before I get too far off the topic.  I picked up a can of minwax brushing lacquer.  (They were out of deft).  I did get a can of deft lacquer sanding sealer though... Well... I already had that.  I turned a bowl then sanded and applied 3 coats of sealer on Saturday.  I cut the sealer 70/30 sealer to lacquer thinner.  All was well.

Today after work.  I rushed to the shop to brush on some lacquer!  After covering the piece I noticed that bristles from my crappy brush were applied to the piece along with the finish.  Lets not worry about how they got there.  To follow up stupid... I may have done more stupid.  I used my fingers, gloved of course, to fish out the bristles.  Now that I removed the bristles they are no longer an issue!  However, my highly technical method of bristle retrieval has left me with smear marks in my finish. 

My question is.  Do I sand these smear marks away before my next coat or will the next coat melt them away?  My plan is to lightly sand with 400 grit wet dry paper then apply my second coat.  Unless someone/s have advice to the contrary. 

Thanks,
Rick

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rick Howard

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Re: Lacquer help
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 4:12pm

Smears not showing up in photo.  But I figured I'd post anyway

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Jerry Marcantel

WR Rocks!

Tucson, Arizona, Arizona, USA
Tucson, Arizona
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 8:14pm

I'd sand it at 220, the re-apply.
I have never applied lacquer by brush, but I can tell you about other things that will get onto a sprayed finish. Dog hair, if you have dogs and wood dust if you don't clean the floor before finish.  If you're working outdoors, leaves, bugs, and feathers if you have those flying rodents trying to make their home on your home. . You know, that stuff that keeps us busy instead of letting us be idle. I feel your pain, Rick. 
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2014 at 8:14pm by Jerry Marcantel »  

IP Logged

Rick Howard

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 6:03am

Thank you, Jerry.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 9:30pm

Rick -- nice bowl

As i remember. Brushing Lacquer has retarder in it to slow the drying to match the brushing speed vs spraying.   

Consider the smear as a run  --  little change in thickness, minimal effort.  Big thickness, sand it down.  Use a pad.

Then have at it again.

IP Logged

Rick Howard

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 7:53pm

Thanks, Ken. I will get back to this bowl soon.  I've been avoiding it.  Once I lacquer something... I gotta vacate the shop for awhile.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print