WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Tucson, Arizona, Arizona, USA
Tucson, Arizona
Arizona
USA

A visual C A problem
Sep 22nd, 2014 at 9:05am

I'm posting this video of a problem I have with the application of C A. hoping that I can get some answers to resolve the issue. It's about 5 1/2 minutes. Thanks for any helpMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register ............ Jerry (in Tucson)
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2014 at 9:09am by Jerry Marcantel »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Grant Wilkinson
WR Supporter

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Re: A visual C A problem
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 12:31pm

With only 3 coats of thin CA on the first one, you are likely sanding through it when you are trying to get the ridges out. That is no thickness at all for a CA finish.

Also, how long are you waiting to buff it? And, how coarse is that red buffing material you using?

Finally, how are you applying your CA finish? Are you sealing the wood somehow before the first coat of CA, or is the CA going onto bare wood?

Capt Eddie has done a few videos on CA finishes for bowls, and they could help you address your problems.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Jerry Marcantel
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Tucson, Arizona
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 6:57pm

Grant, I'm putting my CA on bare wood. The only reason I decided to go with CA is there are so many cracks, a couple voids I filled and some soft pithy wood already there. So, I figured I was about halfway there with the CA.

I saw one of the Cpt's video where near the end he stated to seal the wood with some type of sealer first. Now I know better.

I left the lathe running, about 100 rpms, and walked out of my shop for about a half hour, then went back in and sanded. Reapplied more glue, and did the same. I know now that I was applying too much at once, and leaving ridges. Trying to remove those would in turn produce the glossy rings and dull places shown in the video.

That buffing compound might be Tripoli, according to a 3M supplier here. I went in to get some Tripoli, and he pointed to the same stuff I already was using. We had a little disagreement, but I let it go as he is supposed to know what he's selling.

The compound I have was purchased 20 years ago when I was messing around with jewelry. I have 3 grits, and that stuff you see in the video was the first polish, white Tripoli was the second polish, and red rouge was the last. I can find the red and this stuff, but the white eludes me.

Thanks for your help. .... Jerry (in Tucson)

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Supporter

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 12:45pm

I saw your post on the other thread, Jerry, and I see that someone else said much what I did. You need lots of coats of thin CA before you have a chance of sanding it smooth without sanding through it. It's not unusual for me to put more than a dozen coats on pens before I start to sand and polish.

WRT to the tripoli, I've read that it is somewhere around 800 grit. Be sure that you've given the CA finish time to completely off gas and harden before you use it, and be very careful of the heat that it can build up.

I never used to seal pieces before I put on a CA finish, but after watching Capt Eddie, I started to use a lacquer based sanding sealer before the CA. It does make a positive difference. FWIW
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2014 at 12:46pm by Grant Wilkinson »  

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Jerry Marcantel
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Tucson, Arizona
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 6:33pm

And here I was sanding after each coat of CA. I'll get this form set up with multi coats before I start sanding. I need to get it done so I can video removing the tenon. It's different, but a whole lot safer than the other tools used.
Thanks for all the replies. It has awakened me some. ........ Jerry (in Tucson)
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2014 at 6:34pm by Jerry Marcantel »  

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 8:48pm

Despite the little flaws in finish you turned a very nice hollow form.

IP Logged

Jerry Marcantel
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Tucson, Arizona
Arizona
USA

Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 9:10pm

Lee Watermann wrote on Sep 23rd, 2014 at 8:48pm:
Despite the little flaws in finish you turned a very nice hollow form.

Well Lee, I try... I'll get this problem solved, and I'm actually gonna like this piece. .... Jerry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print