Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Starter lathe and bench (Read 6,359 times)

Tom Dacon
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Port Townsend, Washington, USA
Port Townsend
Washington
USA

Starter lathe and bench
Oct 10th, 2014 at 12:30pm

Here's an old Craftsman lathe that I restored, and the bench I built for it. A fun project, and I think it'll turn out to be a pretty decent starter lathe.

Tom

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Lathe_and_bench.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Lathe_from_left.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Walt Nollan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Re: Starter lathe and bench
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 12:36pm

WOW!  I turned on one of those for twenty years!  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Tom Dacon
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Port Townsend
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 12:52pm

Well, I might end up doing that too, Walt, if it turns out to do everything I want to do on a lathe. For now that'd be just spindles and small faceplate work, which it ought to do pretty well. I know it's not very rigid, but I've at least tuned out most of the vibration and it runs pretty smooth.

Here's another pic.

Tom

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Lathe_from_right.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 6:14pm

great job on the restoration and the bench looks good and sturdy. and if you do have vibration problems in the future, you can add a shelve and some sand bags for additional weight. Thumbs Up

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Tom Dacon
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Port Townsend
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 7:14pm

Thanks, David. I ground an old file as a scraper and trued up the pulleys. That got rid of most of the vibration and the link belt took care of the rest. It's not nickel-on-edge smooth, but smooth enough for me.

The bench top is 2" of MDF, so I've got a fair amount of mass for small wood, I think. I'm going to build a set of drawers under the bench top to hold the tools, so that will add some more mass, and I don't expect to be turning anything real big on this old citizen anyway.

Tom

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 7:25pm

Do not use files for turning tools.  They are very brittle and can shatter and throw shrapnel when they do.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Tom Dacon
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Port Townsend
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 10:00pm

That sounds like good advice, Jim.

In my dreams I'd have purchased a $100 carbide scraper to do that ten-minute job. Fortunately it worked out all right for me. You'll be relieved to know that I was at least using a face shield over safety goggles.

Tom

IP Logged

James Saxinger

WR Rocks!

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
Canada

NOVA 2024
GI 25-200
Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2014 at 7:47pm

+1 on the restoration, it looks like it just came out of the box. I turned on a tube lathe for 3 years before the vortex got a firm grip on me !!
Nice work on both
James

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 5:26pm

Great job. I turned on one of those for yrs too.You'll be able to do more than you think. Looks like new!!

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 1:04pm

I think what he was referring to with the file was not so much as cutting as smoothing.   if it's the way I believe he's talking about, it's not really used in a "cutting" fashion (as a cutting bit would be), but in a "smoothing" mode...

(essentially it's a similar position to "testing" the roundness of a piece by letting the shaft ride on the piece to see if it'll bounce...)

I watched my great uncle do this innumerable times to refine the finish on a piece of work before moving to some grade of emery cloth to begin polishing...

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 1:15pm

He specifically said he reground it as a scraper.  Which is why I gave the warning. 

Files and rasps can be used to take out tear out as a first step before sanding, but never as a scraper.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Tom Dacon
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Port Townsend
Washington
USA

Reply #11 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 2:45pm

Well, Jim's got me dead to rights. I'm guilty as charged. And I was truing the pot metal pulleys, no less, not even using it on wood. In my defense (not that I really should be trying to defend this), even such luminaries as Ernie Conover have done it and written about it. Which of course is where I got the idea. He makes scrapers out of some of the darnedest things.

I'm usually not too much of a cowboy but I've had my moments (one of which is now memorialized on this forum) in the forty years or so that I've been working wood. I won't even mention the time I put an end mill in a plunge router and used it to machine down the shanks of some broken-off bronze screws below the surface of the planks on my boat so that I could put plugs over them. Wait...I just did, didn't I?

Tom

IP Logged

Alastair Drong

WR Woods!

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chicago
Illinois
USA

Reply #12 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 9:09pm

Very nice restore! cool setup.

I found a new measurement for happiness. For me, it starts at around 320 grit.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #13 - Oct 16th, 2014 at 4:02pm

Tom Dacon wrote on Oct 15th, 2014 at 2:45pm:
Well, Jim's got me dead to rights. I'm guilty as charged. And I was truing the pot metal pulleys, no less, not even using it on wood. In my defense (not that I really should be trying to defend this), even such luminaries as Ernie Conover have done it and written about it. Which of course is where I got the idea. He makes scrapers out of some of the darnedest things.

I'm usually not too much of a cowboy but I've had my moments (one of which is now memorialized on this forum) in the forty years or so that I've been working wood. I won't even mention the time I put an end mill in a plunge router and used it to machine down the shanks of some broken-off bronze screws below the surface of the planks on my boat so that I could put plugs over them. Wait...I just did, didn't I?Tom

i am sure that most of us have done something that would be considered dangerous by others, but got away with it, that time. and i learned to never do it again.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Tom Dacon
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Port Townsend
Washington
USA

Reply #14 - Oct 16th, 2014 at 5:10pm

>i am sure that most of us have done something that >would be considered dangerous by others, but got away >with it, that time. and i learned to never do it again.

Yeah, he says ruefully, I'm not likely to be trying that end mill stunt again. Gives me chills now when I think of it.

Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print