Len Mullin

WR Rocks!

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
Miramichi
New Brunswick
Canada

Re: Interesting !
Reply #15 - Oct 23rd, 2014 at 11:55pm

In the past, I've cut quite a few coves on my tablesaw, for mouldings, and I've never had a problem doing so. Is it safe? Well, in my mind it is because, it was taught to me by a master carpenter and school teacher, Plus, I've done it so many times in the past, that I think very little of doing it now. It is a good example of what some people think is safe, and others don't. Obviously, it's a matter of what one person thinks, compared to  what others think. So, it will always be an issue with the ability to be argumentative, just read the postings above this one. What I feel is safe, doesn't necessarily have to line up with what you think, or, feel is safe. But, there is always someone out there that will try to make you see things their way.
Len

P.S. I'm sorry for saying so as I don't want to start a debate , but, I also think the statement about the double-wide and toilets as being in bad taste.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 10:12am

Again,
I am fully aware that everyone has their own comfort level with safety. What you do in your own shop is up to you.
Obviously this is a matter of opinion, IMO this is unsafe because the tools were not designed to do this, so there is no way to know what can happen until it does, that's called an accident.
Just because you do something and don't get hurt, doesn't make it safe.

Len Mullin wrote on Oct 23rd, 2014 at 11:55pm:
P.S. I'm sorry for saying so as I don't want to start a debate , but, I also think the statement about the double-wide and toilets as being in bad taste.

If you post your video on the internet for anyone to view, you open yourself up to all the praise and/or criticism people will give.
In at least one of his other videos (making a bowling ball) where he is performing much of the same type of procedure, the man in the video refers to himself as a redneck.
This only proves that he is fully aware of how his video is perceived by others.
He is basically acting out the punchline of a Jeff Foxworthy joke, but we're not supposed to acknowledge that or especially laugh.
I can't change what I said or the fact I thought it was funny, I'll just bite my tongue from now on and stick to the safety aspect of videos like this.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #17 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 12:11pm

No problem, Ed... I'll fill in for ya!! Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print