Shane Durham

Gainesville, Georgia

Gainesville, Georgia, USA
Gainesville
Georgia
USA

Building shop help
Oct 16th, 2014 at 11:00pm

I'm hoping that someone on here can help me with an issue I have building my new shop.  My wife has graciously allowed me to build my shop outside on a concrete pad that was originally there for a hot tub.  The issue I have is that the concrete pad is directly under a part of my upper deck that is covered.  The issue I'm having is I don't know how to do the roof in my shop.  If I take it all the way to the upper deck then I need to waterproof it.  I have no problem waterproofing it, if that's what I need to do.  But if I do waterproof it how do I connect the walls and roof of my shop to the upper deck???  Not sure if this makes a lot of sense so I drew some pictures and tomorrow when it's light out I will take some actual pictures.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.
www.facebook.com/shane durham.534  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Curtis Warstler

WR Rocks!

Thornton, Colorado, USA
Thornton
Colorado
USA

JET 1236
Something Wicked this way comes...
Re: Building shop help
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2014 at 11:37pm

If you get me some measurements I will noodle it for a couple days. Yes you will need to waterproof your roof structure. Plain and simple, if I had me equipment going out there you bet I would try to keep as much water out as possiable. It may also be wise to contact your cities building division they may be able to help as well. Plus you will more then likely have to pull permits for electricle any ways...

So many hobbies so little time.....
IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 12:42pm

Is that deck an open deck.. not a solid plywood deck?  My first thought would be to add a layer of plywood as a new topping of the deck. Then seal the ply with poly or something.

Maybe put down a rubber roofing layer they put down to waterproof under shingles between the existing deck wood and the layer of ply on top of it.

Running a 2x ( a header for the wall) along the outside edge of the underside of the deck will allow you to nail the wall studs in place.
Are you going to run a bead of sealer and then shoot a sill into the concrete for the base of the wall?

What are your plans for the floor of the shop? Are you going to waterproof that as well so water doesn't migrate up thru the concrete?

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Shane Durham

Gainesville, Georgia

Gainesville
Georgia
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 1:05pm

Curtis-- I'll get some exact measurements in a bit.  The one measurement that I know for sure is the distance from the concrete pad to the bottom of the upper deck fourteen feet.

Ralph--The upper covered deck is an open deck.  That deck has 2x6's spaced exactly like the rest of my deck.  For the concrete deck I plan on using silicone under the sill then use tap cons to lock it down.  Then my plan for the concrete is to use that rubberized flouring that is made for garage floors.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 1:48pm

At least where it is, you can use a very low angle roof, most of the precipitation will be handled by the upper roof.  You will either need to waterproof the deck to use it as the roof, or leave enough space under it to allow roofing materials to be applied to a lower roof.

I hope you have gone to your local building department for all necessary permits.  I had a tax client that was blocked from selling his house because additions had been made without permits.  Took him over 4 months to get the necessary permits, inspections, and pay back taxes before he could start looking for another buyer.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Shane Durham

Gainesville, Georgia

Gainesville
Georgia
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 3:29pm

So here's what I have:

The concrete pad where the shop will go is 11'10"x11'2"  That there is 14' between the pad and the joists for the upper deck.

Below are some pics I took a few minutes ago to put everything into perspective.

IP Logged

Shane Durham

Gainesville, Georgia

Gainesville
Georgia
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 3:42pm

Jim-- I have not looked into permits yet because I'm not sure how the addition is going to go (how I'm going to do the roof and such).  Once I have a definitive plan I will obtain all the required permits.

IP Logged

Shane Durham

Gainesville, Georgia

Gainesville
Georgia
USA

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 3:46pm

As an alternate thought, my wife and I have talked about turning one section of the finished basement into a shop area.  This would require putting up one wall with a door and installing a sub panel and electrical to fit the shop needs.  My wife's biggest concern with this is dust.  She thinks that no matter what I do I'm not going to be able to keep the dust out of the basement.  Anyone in this type of situation, if so, what are you doing for dust prevention and how much escapes into the finished portion of the house?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Curtis Warstler

WR Rocks!

Thornton, Colorado, USA
Thornton
Colorado
USA

JET 1236
Something Wicked this way comes...
Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 10:18am

My dirst sugestion shane is contact your cities building division and ask as many questions of them as you can. It looks like an okay spot for a shop however there would be a lot of time money, involved in making it right. I would deffinitly put some sort of roof inplace under the decking.

As to the basement this it the route I personaly would go. No mater where your shop you will get dust in the house. From the sounds of it you will be putting up a wall so in theroy have a fairly contained area. Then get an air box ( celling airfilter ) and install it. Much cheaper in the long run Smiley I have all my stuff in the basement and it isnt horiable in the house for dust, but like I said it gets everywhere anyways Wink keep us posted. If I have any other thoughts I will post later.

So many hobbies so little time.....
IP Logged

Dwight Rutherford

WR Rocks!

Roseville, California, USA
Roseville
California
USA

Jet 1642
Rose Engine
Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 11:09am

I agree with Curtis. The basement with  an air box will work well.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 11:32am

The other thing that will help alot is to get your wife interested in turning as well. She'll be more forgiving of dust when she is in on making it. Thumbs Up

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Shane Durham

Gainesville, Georgia

Gainesville
Georgia
USA

Reply #11 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 10:59pm

Ralph--I love that idea but my wife is just not into my hobbies, she likes the finished products but that's about it.  On a side note, both my kids (12yo girl, 11yo boy) are interested, so that's a plus. 
I'm leaning towards the room as well.  Last night at 5AM (I have insomnia...) I measured the space that my shop would go if I did it in the basement.  The space is about 9'4"x14', which means I wouldn't really be gaining a lot more square footage as the outside would give me about 121 square feet and the inside would give me about 130.

My only real dilemma that I run into is getting power from the panels to the room so I could get my needed 220, but I might have a plan for that.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 12:57am

if you go for the basement, seal every crack and hole you can find using either caulking or expansion foam. the more you seal, the less dust gets out.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 1:12am

David Hamann wrote on Oct 19th, 2014 at 12:57am:
seal every crack and hole you can find

On both sides of the wall and in the ceiling and joists.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Shane Durham

Gainesville, Georgia

Gainesville
Georgia
USA

Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 2:31am

Jim-- I don't really have access to the joists in the ceiling because it's already finished.  I am going to have to make some wholes because I have to wire it up for more lights and a receptacle for the air filtration system.  The other reason I would rather not pull all the sheetrock down is because my ceilings are right at 13' tall and I'd rather not have to hire someone to do my ceiling.  So, with that said, what would you recommend?  Oh, one last thought, the location where the shop will be located in the basement has an AC vent; should I close that up, or would it be ok to leave it open?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print