Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
source for PEG in bulk quantities (Read 1,364 times)

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
source for PEG in bulk quantities
Oct 25th, 2014 at 8:46am

Hi guys does anyone know a good source for buying Peg in bulk quantities. I found where I can get 10lbs for about $58. from rockler but If I want to fill the bottom of a 55gal. drum (not full of course) I believe I will need about 15-20 gal.  Is it sold in solid/flaked form then mixed with something to make the liquid or can I just buy it in the liquid form. The 10lb threw me I was expecting gal. measurements instead of lbs. Thanks! Thumbs Up

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Re: source for PEG in bulk quantities
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 9:31am

There is/was a book out on using PEG.  I had it but have moved a few times since so didn't come up with it.  As I recall there is a limit to the thickness of wood that can be treated. The book may also list some sources.  I had the interest but never did any treating with PEG.  The book would date to the early '70's.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 5:49pm

MiraLax laxitive is a form of PEG...

...Not sure if it would work for treating wood, though.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2014 at 8:50pm by Tony Rozendaal »  

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2014 at 10:13am

In this case, PEG stands for polyethylene glycol, but it is not the same formulation as antifreeze.

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2014 at 10:44am

Patrick Spielman wrote a book about treating green wood with PEG in the early 80's.  The PEG is mixed with water and needs to be kept within a certain temperature range which is a higher than room temperature.  I don't recall the specific temperatures or concentrations.  I do remember that there were problems with getting some finishes to adhere to the treated wood.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

We used to use a liquid form of PEG as an additive to polyethylene in the place where I used to work.  It reduced the tendency of the plastic jugs that were made from the plastic to develop static charges and attract dust and dirt while sitting on the store shelf.  One unintended property of the liquid was that it had a bit of a bleaching effect and the plastic made with it as an additive was whiter than plastic that did not have the PEG in it.  I once spilled a few drops on my work boot and it bleached the color out of the leather as well.  I don't know how that would carry over to different concentrations and formulations of the stuff or how it would affect dark colored woods.

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 2:08pm

PEG has been used in Archeologic preservation of antiquities for many decades, and is the preservative of choice for wood and other items of vegetable fibers ...  (there's even a regime for slowly saturating an item that has been submerged in water; must be done slowly but consistently to keep the item from drying out and warping....)

I know that the process is generally very involved when dealing with such things due to their fragility.  My experience is fairly limited, amounting to the Dig-master handing me a pre-mixed bottle and instructing me to carefully apply it to the fragments of wood we were uncovering...   

The results are hard to argue with, though the preserved pieces do have a decidedly "plastic" feel to them.   From what I've read on using Cactus Juice, it seems like the procedures (and results) are fairly similar....
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2014 at 2:09pm by Tim Hyatt »  

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 10:33pm

Tim Hyatt wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 2:08pm:
PEG has been used in Archeologic preservation of antiquities for many decades, and is the preservative of choice for wood and other items of vegetable fibers ...  (there's even a regime for slowly saturating an item that has been submerged in water; must be done slowly but consistently to keep the item from drying out and warping....)

I know that the process is generally very involved when dealing with such things due to their fragility.  My experience is fairly limited, amounting to the Dig-master handing me a pre-mixed bottle and instructing me to carefully apply it to the fragments of wood we were uncovering...   

The results are hard to argue with, though the preserved pieces do have a decidedly "plastic" feel to them.   From what I've read on using Cactus Juice, it seems like the procedures (and results) are fairly similar....

The antiquities people are finding in the long term that PEG presents some serious problems with formation of sulfuric acids.   It present a conundrum, because it does provide shorter term stabilization, but after quite a few years the problem appear.   

Ancient ship in Sweden is where the experience was cited.  The ship is an interesting read in how not to do things -- was built by two crews from two countries with different measurement systems, and had some executive decisions by a king that were not practical - -resulting in early sinking.

I can dig for the name if you wish -- not near the top of the head.

IP Logged

Curtis Warstler

WR Rocks!

Thornton, Colorado, USA
Thornton
Colorado
USA

JET 1236
Something Wicked this way comes...
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 12:37am

Ken I would be intrested that sounds intresting Smiley

So many hobbies so little time.....
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 5:44am

VASA.  A really interesting museum if you get a chance to go there.  Museum was built around the ship after it was recovered.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 7:51am

Thanks Larry  --  The name would not pop out of memory -- 

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 3:29pm

I believe that Polyall is a liquid form of PEG, but I may be mistaken. You can look on their site for more info.

polyall.com

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #11 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 9:48pm

Hi, Grant:
Polyall 2000 is a very very thin two part polyurethane glue that is intended to soak in to rotted or punky wood and restore its structural strength.  Any residue left on the surface foams as it cures just like other kinds of polyurethane glue.  I don't think it would perform the same function as PEG which is intended to displace and replace the water in the wood cells so they don't collapse and distort as they dry.

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #12 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:30pm

Breck

I messed with PEG once upon a time.  It came in blocks with a waxy feel.  Dissolved in water.  Soaking was extended time.  Wood felt waxy after drying. 

IP Logged

Walt Nollan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #13 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 12:22pm

I went searching for an article I read years ago on using COSTCO laundry detergent for this same purpose.  Its mix of chemicals made it perfect for stabilizing wood.  Unfortunately I cant find it.  No telling if the soap has the same make up as it did.

IP Logged

Paul Gilbert

Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

PM3520B
Reply #14 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 1:34pm

Univar is a distributer for Dow chemicals.  You must buy a 500 lb. drum, but the quoted price I got was $2.5224/lb.  Dow's trade name for PEG 1000 is Carbowax Centry.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print