Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hot melt glue (Read 1,190 times)

Ben Goeller
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hot melt glue
Dec 1st, 2014 at 9:16am

I use hot melt to hold a lot of different things to the lathe while I turn as I'm sure many of you do. I was wondering what you all do to get the glue off after. ON the finished pieces, the pieces you are trying to make perfect. I  can't get the glue off unless I sand it and even then I'm not always positive I got it all off, and sometimes it shows when I put on the finish. Not a great time to find out!! Could use some of your expertise.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Re: Hot melt glue
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2014 at 10:28am

I use hot melt glue as you do, but only in places that will be cut off or not seen at all.  Any glue will cause this discoloration when finished.

IP Logged

Paul wells

WR Rocks!

Broken Arrow, Okla., USA
Broken Arrow, Okla.
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 9:01pm

I read some place where mineral spirits would clean it up but I havnt tried it yet.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 11:58pm

There are several different grades of hot melt glue.  Some have considerably less penetration (and holding power) than others.

I have uses "sanding sealer" - usually white or bleached shellac - where I was going to attach hot melt glue -- and expect about 50% of the holding ability, but it does not get into the wood.

IP Logged

Ben Goeller
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2014 at 5:46am

Thanks I'll try that.

IP Logged

David Muehlbauer
WR Noob

Gilbert AZ, Arizona, USA
Gilbert AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2016 at 9:48pm

I use hot melt glue, but only one ring around the edge of the round waste block. When I'm finished with the bowl I use a parting tool to cut the glue bead out. Then I scrape as much off as possible with a putty knife and then scrub the remainder off with mineral spirits and a rag or ScotchBrite pad. Some sanding is necessary if you catch the bottom with the parting tool, but this has been minimal.

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2016 at 9:28am

I have been using it to center rings. I use a little on four small wood blocks to mark the position of the ring. It has worked great so far. Of course any mark gets turned off using it this way.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2016 at 9:41am

Denatured alcohol helps break the bond on hot melt glues, especially the lower temperature ones.  Mineral spirits also helps break bonds.

Cold temperatures make it brittle, and it usually pops free with a tap.  Cold temperatures means winter freezing ( or in the freezer) temps.

Mineral spirits or DNA also help free up double stick tape and clean up the residue.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - May 7th, 2016 at 11:17am

A word of caution for those who don't already know.
Typical hot melt glue (there are many grades) is great for centering rings or temporarily holding pieces.  Most of these glues do not have the strength by themselves to hold securely enough to withstand the forces incurred during turning.

IMO hot melt glue should be treated much like MDF.
You can use it for turning applications but care must be taken to use it properly and safely.

IP Logged

David Muehlbauer
WR Noob

Gilbert AZ, Arizona, USA
Gilbert AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2016 at 1:26pm

Not to contradict people with much more experience than me, I just wanted to describe my process more. I found this process online: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I use a hardwood glue block, and make it as large as possible. I turn it round, and cut a groove into the edge for the bead of glue. I also slightly concave the block to assure a good fit. When I am turning the outside of the bowl, I use the tailstock with a piece of plywood covering the top opening of the bowl. I have yet to have any issues, but the bowls I turn are relatively small (largest has been 9" in diameter and about 6" deep).

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2016 at 1:27pm by David Muehlbauer »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - May 7th, 2016 at 1:42pm

David Muehlbauer wrote on May 7th, 2016 at 1:26pm:
When I am turning the outside of the bowl, I use the tailstock with a piece of plywood covering the top opening of the bowl. I have yet to have any issues, but the bowls I turn are relatively small (largest has been 9" in diameter and about 6" deep).

This is what I mean when I say the glue isn't strong enough on it's own, the tailstock must be used or failure will most likely occur.

IP Logged

David Muehlbauer
WR Noob

Gilbert AZ, Arizona, USA
Gilbert AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2016 at 3:16pm

How do you mount your bowls?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - May 8th, 2016 at 9:32am

I typically  use a glue block.
I'll glue the base, bottom ring or section to a glue block that fits onto either a faceplate or into large jaws (1oomm). I use one of the Titbond PVA glues depending on the project.
I prefer to mount securely enough to not need the tailstock.
Many times pieces are constructed a ring or two at a time, due to either size or shape. It's not always easy or even possible to turn the insides of pieces if they were to be completely assembled prior to turning.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print