Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Maple Burl and Padauk (Read 1,822 times)

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Re: Maple Burl and Padauk
Reply #15 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:08am

Obviously a very discerning purchaser!  Nice Kathy.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #16 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:40am

[quote author=003B313A3320360D053B3E33303737520 link=1418655877/14#14 date=1418742375]Kathy did you hollow it or leave it solid to make the finial easier to attach.

I'll be happy to share how it was done. It's turned in four pieces.  The lid is 1/4 of the overall piece. A tendon was turned on the finial side and parted off.  The vase was turned and hollowed.  Sanded and finished.  Cut the finish off the lip area and remove the piece. Flip it around on a jam chuck and finish the bottom. Remove the vessel.  Turn the lip portion using calipers to make the correct size. The lip has a tenon that extends down into the vessel the width of the interior wall.  The top portion is slightly rounded on the side to slightly extend over the vessels top edge.  (Note: I usually always rough up the edges of the glue joints for a stronger hold). Glue the lip in place.  Chuck up the lid and turn the inside bottom portion of the lid. Creating a tenon on this side about 1/8" larger than what will actually fit into the vessel. Be sure the tenon is strong enough to hold, you will be reversing it to finish the top and can remove more wood when it is reversed.  Reverse and chuck up the tenon just turned, drill for the finial.  Bring up the tailstock and turn the top of the lid, flaring out the sides and interior with light cuts. (If necessary use thin CA to hold the bark in place). Shape the interior top up to the drilled area for the finial. Carefully sand and finish (this area is a knuckle buster).  Reverse the lid on a jam chuck that will fit the finial area (I have one already turned to fit the forstner bit I use). Turn the bottom portion of the lid sizing the tenon area to fit down inside the vessel.  Sand and finish.  That is how this piece was completed.  Hope this helps... Smiley If any questions, please just ask....I'll be happy to answer.

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #17 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:45am

Forgot...of course you turn the finial , finish it and glue it in place.  Smiley

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #18 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:45am

Obviously a very discerning purchaser!  Nice Kathy.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #19 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:51am

Thanks for the compliments and comments.  Hope to see someone else turn one and post it.  Fun to turn. But a challenge and "of course I love challenges".... Smiley

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #20 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 9:33pm

Cathy, on a previous thread I think a suggestion was presented to an engineering student about a light weight, portable, and versatle sander to develop. I was going to suggest a solid (well built/plenty of power) flexible shaft type with a handle and grip similar to a favorite, comfortable power tool. However, with the quality and type of turning you do, I can understand why a search for this magic tool has not been found! Dave has the right word for your turning - Stunning!

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Kevin Gade

WR Rocks!

N.E. Iowa, Iowa, USA
N.E. Iowa
Iowa
USA

Reply #21 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 9:59pm

Excellent!  I can only dream of doing work like that.

IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #22 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 9:38am

Glenn Roberts wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 9:33pm:
Cathy, on a previous thread I think a suggestion was presented to an engineering student about a light weight, portable, and versatile sander to develop. I was going to suggest a solid (well built/plenty of power) flexible shaft type with a handle and grip similar to a favorite, comfortable power tool. However, with the quality and type of turning you do, I can understand why a search for this magic tool has not been found! Dave has the right word for your turning - Stunning!

Glenn, I did finally break down and by another Milwaukee Angle Drill for power sanding.  I have five different drills now and still haven't found one I truly like yet. The Milwaukee is so heavy but the best so far. 

Guys this is one of the calendar entries and is on the back of the calendar.  I just took it  and the other entry to Mercers Jewelry and Fine Gifts in Chandler last week and was surprised that it sold so fast.  Now I need to find another challenging item to turn... any ideas??? Smiley

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Jenny Trice
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #23 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 6:40pm

Off the charts Kathy!  Congratulations

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #24 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 7:14pm

Another beautiful piece Kathy...well done.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #25 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 7:16pm

That is a beautiful piece, Kathy. Inspiring.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #26 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 9:13pm

Outstanding piece Kathy, and a great explaination on how it came to be done.  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #27 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 10:50am

stunning work, Kathy, but i'm always impressed by the things you share with us!  Definitely makes me want to step up my game...

I really like how the top resembles a frozen splash like some of the stop-motion photo work...

IP Logged

Shane Durham

Gainesville, Georgia

Gainesville, Georgia, USA
Gainesville
Georgia
USA

Reply #28 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 7:16pm

I hope I'm not asking a faux pas, but I'd really like to know; what did it sell for?  Secondly, how did you come up with the sales price?

Thanks,

Shane

I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.
www.facebook.com/shane durham.534  
IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #29 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 10:01am

Shane Durham wrote on Dec 18th, 2014 at 7:16pm:
I hope I'm not asking a faux pas, but I'd really like to know; what did it sell for?  Secondly, how did you come up with the sales price?

Thanks,

Shane

I sold this piece for 160. to buy my Milwaukee drill for power sanding.  I didn't want to get into my Christmas funds.  I have a very generous husband that would let me buy anything I want, however, when it is something I really don't need but just want I like to figure out a way to buy it myself with out getting into our budget.  This worked for me  to reach my goal and the guy that bought it got a really good deal for his wife as well. Smiley

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print