Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Videos: Casting Alumilite Resin (Read 1,811 times)
Dave Bell

WR Rocks!

Elora, Ontario, Canada
Elora
Ontario
Canada

New Videos: Casting Alumilite Resin
Jan 1st, 2015 at 11:50pm

There have been a few folks showing interest in the casting that I do to make some of my resin cast turnings. The videos that I am posting are for shaving brushes, razor handle and the stands. I am not turning these items, but merely showing and talking about the process of casting. The second video is of the castings after they have been removed from the pressure pot.

Please be advised that the pressure pot I use is much larger and has a much higher pressure rating than traditional paint pots. Do not use your pressure pots at the pressure I quote.

If you want to modify your pressure pot, please seek the help of someone who is knowledgeable and competent in this field of expertise.

I hope you enjoy the videos and please feel free to ask questions.

Thanks for watching.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2015 at 11:49am by Bob Hamilton »  

Woodturning requires sharp tools and practice, and practice requires evaluation or little progress will be made. Keep your tools sharp, practice, evaluate your progress, and have fun............Dale L. Nish
WWW bellsy4139 http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=831975120&r  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dave Bell

WR Rocks!

Elora, Ontario, Canada
Elora
Ontario
Canada

Re: New Videos: Casting Alumilite Resin
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 1:46pm

I took one more video of the castings cut from the molds before turning by the customer.

« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2015 at 10:21pm by Bob Hamilton »  

Woodturning requires sharp tools and practice, and practice requires evaluation or little progress will be made. Keep your tools sharp, practice, evaluate your progress, and have fun............Dale L. Nish
IP Logged

Jerry Marcantel

WR Rocks!

Tucson, Arizona, Arizona, USA
Tucson, Arizona
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 4:30pm

Dave, that was a long video. I actually watched the whole thing.

The only thing that bothered me was watching you take your sweet time after you got A&B together. It looked like a lot more than 15 minutes.
I just did a casting, and I needed 24 oz. of resin. I mixed it in two mixes as I only had 16 oz cups. I also did the gram measurement as I'm using a triple beam scale. When the last bit of resin was poured into the mold, my first 15 minutes was up.
The casting turned out pretty good, but when I applied the pressure after closing the tank, the resin migrated into all kinds of nooks and crannies I didn't anticipate. That in turn caused my form to be about 1" shorter. Will post pictures when I finish turning it. Removing the tenon is all that's left to do. 
Also, I found out that Alumilite does not effect styrofoam, so I'm using those for mixing my stuff in.
I would like to know what your mold is going to look like on that large burl you showed in this video.
Thanks for posting your videos. They are informative.
.......... Jerry (in Tucson)

IP Logged

Dave Bell

WR Rocks!

Elora, Ontario, Canada
Elora
Ontario
Canada

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 6:42pm

Thanks Jerry.

Sorry about the dragging my feet so to speak. Others asked me to try and be informative so I did what I thought was best. There are a lot of factors that can play into casting and as you have mentioned already, others should take note.

As for your mixing cup size, please seek containers more suited to project volume. I have numerous cups, cans, pails...etc to mix in....even used yogurt cups for the small casts.

Time wise for mixing pouring, the temperature of your work area can effect the set up/mixing times, regardless what the manufacturer states. I live in Canada and my shop is usually @ 65 degree in the winter. Summer temps can get up into the +100 sometimes. So this plays into casting parameters. Hence, this is why I keep a Casting Log Book for recording "everything".

The thing people seem to disregard is that the resin is going to be placed under pressure. If there is any air trapped in the wood or bubbles in the resin, this air is going to be compressed in size (smaller) depending on the amount of air pressure (capacity) that you can apply to your pressure pot. More pressure, smaller air bubbles or the porous nooks and crannies that you speak of are going to be filled with resin. This will reduce the visual volume you would have calculated for or calculated using another loose form such as beads of glass or rice. There is a consideration required to compensate for the density of the wood, such as buckeye burl compared to hard maple burl. If you plan on using spalted woods, they too will adsorb a lot of resin, but like I mentioned it's all dependent on the capacity of your pressure pot.

If you want to see a video of the finished casting (similar project) you can search my YouTube channel for Where's My Bowl Blank" and watch me turn the mold away from the casting. I do primarily disposable molds for casting burls because no two burls are alike. You can also review my tutorial here on the site where I make a Candy Dish using the exact same technique of mold making. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I hope that helps clear up any questions for you. Please ask away if you need more help.

Dave

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 1:27pm

THANK YOU!!!
I've been looking forward to these ever since you said you would make them. As a side note, a special thank you for working with me. It has given me the confidence needed to proceed with casting. Glenn J.   Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Jerry Marcantel

WR Rocks!

Tucson, Arizona, Arizona, USA
Tucson, Arizona
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 4:13pm

Dave Bell wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 6:42pm:
Thanks Jerry.

Sorry about the dragging my feet so to speak.  .

Dave

Dave, no need to apologize. I was referring to from the time you put A&B together, you seemed to take much more time than I would have. I was watching the video on pins and needles, as the Alumilite would have jelled by that amount of time here in Arizona.

I have one question. My gallon jug of "A" side is starting to collapse, and all I've used out of it is about a quart. Should I put it into a smaller container as I use it. "B" side jug is keeping it's shape....

When you poured your your liquid into your mixing container, I noticed you did an outstanding job. I would have over poured, or spilled the stuff all over my scale.

I'm using a quart sized glue bottle with the spout.  No spills yet, but I'm watching that I go into the mixing container, plus watching the scale. It's aggravating, but I'm getting used to it. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

IP Logged

Dave Bell

WR Rocks!

Elora, Ontario, Canada
Elora
Ontario
Canada

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 7:13pm

Glenn Jacobs wrote on Jan 4th, 2015 at 1:27pm:
THANK YOU!!!
I've been looking forward to these ever since you said you would make them. As a side note, a special thank you for working with me. It has given me the confidence needed to proceed with casting. Glenn J.   Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Your welcome Glenn. I felt rushed to get this done before returning to work, as it's not what I had in mind to video, but the time presented itself.

IP Logged

Dave Bell

WR Rocks!

Elora, Ontario, Canada
Elora
Ontario
Canada

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 8:04pm

Jerry Marcantel wrote on Jan 4th, 2015 at 4:13pm:
Dave Bell wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 6:42pm:
Thanks Jerry.

Sorry about the dragging my feet so to speak.  .

Dave

Dave, no need to apologize. I was referring to from the time you put A&B together, you seemed to take much more time than I would have. I was watching the video on pins and needles, as the Alumilite would have jelled by that amount of time here in Arizona.

I have one question. My gallon jug of "A" side is starting to collapse, and all I've used out of it is about a quart. Should I put it into a smaller container as I use it. "B" side jug is keeping it's shape....

When you poured your your liquid into your mixing container, I noticed you did an outstanding job. I would have over poured, or spilled the stuff all over my scale.

I'm using a quart sized glue bottle with the spout.  No spills yet, but I'm watching that I go into the mixing container, plus watching the scale. It's aggravating, but I'm getting used to it. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

Pins and needles in Arizona....yes, I would have been in the same frame of mind. Like I said before....your shop temperature is important in the over scheme of things. I timed the pour I did and it was 7.5 minutes out of the cup....I talk a lot apparently.

I've never had my A side jug collapse and I have never had a shelf life issue either. I did have a bad batch of B side once that was replaced by Alumilite because of a known problem. Like I mentioned in the video, I decant from a 5 gallon jug to the one gallon jug.....no problems.

Pouring...I guess I have done enough to have a routine now.??? When I first started I used the 32 ounce bottles because of the spouts......but I found they took to long when I moved into larger volume castings.

After a while this becomes second nature, but I still keep following the same steps over and over......it's easy to make mistakes, especially when you start to hurry. Complacency is going to be your worst enemy, so put out a little step by step paper on the bench and have it for reference. Keep your records immediately after the cast.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print