Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Selling (Read 1,181 times)

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Selling
Mar 9th, 2015 at 8:12pm

What's your favorite venue for selling? and, what considerations do you make decisions on choosing?

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Re: Selling
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 9:14pm

I like art fairs/festivals.  I really enjoy talking to people and sharing with them the stories behind the different woods and the turnings.  Seeing their eyes when you share the information and watching their amazement when they feel the wood.  It's also a plus when they buy something Cheesy
My second favorite is when we have an open house at the gallery I'm part of.  Very similar to above but with a lot of repeat patrons and we have food and wine Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 9:00am

I'm with Steve.  Art fairs have 1) brought in the most $$ 2) makes at least one new contact a show whether it's for free wood someone wants gone or future sales at a gallery or commission work 3) it's a chance to see friends from around town I normally don't run into.    1a) Talking to people about the work is always fun and many times the story behind the wood and how it was made will make a sale.

I just reread your questino and you asked about what considerations.   Look at what the "target audience" of the venue is.  When I started selling I tried the farmers market, but people were wanting cheap (actually had someone pick up a 7" black walnut bowl that was priced at $15, underpriced I know now, look at it, put it down and said "nice work but not at that price!").  Craft shows are usually just that, if you have spoons, rolling pins, scoops etc. they might sell but higher priced items and artsy items will probably be loaded back in your car and the end of the day.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2015 at 9:04am by Bill Neff »  

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Gary D Baker

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 7:16pm

I do mostly farmers markets in summer and some school holiday shows.  I enjoy the interaction with folks and of course they stroke your ego ... and I miss that during the winter months.  Most of my items are in the 50- $120 range ... with a few lower and a few higher.  I do this full time ... at least 60 market days a year ... but the customers never cease to be a joy.

Most of the markets I do are in upper middle class areas.  I've found the really wealthy are the toughest to sell to ... and the really poor just can't do it.  Except for one very large show, I've had the most success at small to medium size markets.  I occasionally attend a very large market (5,00 plus per day which is large for Colorado) and the results are spotty.  One Saturday on a whim I went to a small market whose sign I had seen on the road.  When I got there I found only about 8 tents.  My sales were terrific ...  All it takes are the right 3 or 4 customers.  I've never done an art show ... but may try one or 2 this year.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 8:40pm

I do a lot of indoor "trunk shows" at senior communities.  9 times out of 10, I am the only vendor.  In 3 weeks, I am doing a "boutique trunk show" where there will be 6 - 8 vendors.  Since I was the first vendor to accept, I was able to get 2 tables.  Most senior communities don't charge for space, but if it is a non-profit organization running it, I always make a donation, and I adjust the amount depending on the sales.  The one next month is run by an American Baptist group.

Since I mostly sell pens, I do well in the late spring for graduation presents, and in the fall for Christmas presents.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 10:09pm

I do local craft fairs in October/November time frame. Churches, Schools, County Fairgrounds. Every year our sales tend to go up a little bit.

I have never (yet) previewed a show.  I talk to other vendors and we make adjustments to those shows we attend based on sales volume, location, booth price and they way the promoters treat the vendors.

I've had a couple interesting experiences with other crafters who expressed interest in starting to sell, like being asked in the hearing of customers what I had to pay for a booth.  I conveniently couldn't remember the answer to his question. The point is, if you go to an event and think it is something you want to try, get in touch with the promoter and talk to them about costs and other requirement - not the vendors at the event. As a vendor I would be happy to point you toward one of the promoters.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2015 at 10:18pm by Tony Rozendaal »  

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print