Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Juried Show" (Read 1,134 times)

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

"Juried Show"
Mar 26th, 2015 at 9:36pm

I see some shows use this term but I'm lost to what it means. Is this good, not so good or indifference?
Thanks

Huh

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Anthony Yakonick

Re: "Juried Show"
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 10:06pm

If done right it keeps the kits, imports, resellers and junk out of the show. They want to make sure it's handmade by the exhibitor.

If it don't hold soup, it's art!!

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 8:32am

My first show was non-juried.  Like Anthony said, I had to compete with kits, imported crap, etc.  I didn't even make my booth fee but the artificial flower bouquets on one side of me and the mass produced artificially "aged wood" signs with cheesy sayings flew off the shelves.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 9:27am

A "Juried Show" means they have a jury of professionals or accredited individuals who review the submitted items and determined if they are within the criteria of the shows set standards.  The jury could be one person or several.   They choose who gets in and who does not.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 1:20pm

My cynical side says the jury waits to see if your check is good before they approve you for the show.

I've had craft fairs where I had to send in pictures of my work that don't do as well for me year after year compared to one or two craft fairs that let in almost everybody.

My not-so-cynical side says that I do prefer a show where I have had to send in photo's before being accepted. However, juried shows (in my experience) range all over the place. They are certainly no guarantee that you will have a higher volume of sales.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 7:43pm

Nor will juried shows guarantee reasonable pricing in other booths. You might see nicely made bowls priced at $1 per inch of diameter.  Now, if a juried show has a significant entry fee . . .

IP Logged

Alan Hollar

WR Rocks!

Newland, North Carolina, USA
Newland
North Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 8:28am

I agree with Don.  Not all juries are created equal. A low booth fee is a good indication of a low dollar crowd. Even then, a good jury and a good show can still fail to deliver a profitable result.  Craft fairs are a tough life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print