Rick Howard

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Woodturners finish
Mar 28th, 2015 at 2:35pm

I like the way the watco teak oil brings out the chatoyance especially in curly or quilted grain patterns.  But I like a stronger top coat that I can polish up.  So I was thinking about using the turners finish over the watco teak oil. 

There should be no long term issue there right?

Also do I need to let the teak oil cure or can I put the oil on  let it set for a few min wipe of access then apply the Woodturner's Finish? 

Thanks folks.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Woodturners finish
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 6:56pm

Rick, when you say "Woodturner's Finish" are you referring to a specific brand or some generic recipe?
In general, I would let the teak oil cure before applying any type of top-coat.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 7:27pm

Rick Howard wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 2:35pm:
Also do I need to let the teak oil cure or can I put the oil on  let it set for a few min wipe of access then apply the Woodturner's Finish? 

Are you referring to General's Wood Turners Fiish? If so, its a water based polyurethane. It does make a nice hard durable finish.

IP Logged

Rick Howard

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:56pm

Sorry I left a few things out there.  I should have said dry not cure.  But I suppose curing would be better than drying anyway. 

I am talking about the General finishes branded WoodTurners Finish.  I like how quick it does a piece.  I feel like its a little less labor intensive than CA and still gives me a nice clear top coat.  CA is good against bug spray so I still may just go with that in the end.  I am going to try out the Woodturner's Finish for now. 

The reason I care about the bug spray is because I am finishing turkey calls.  It is not common that a person sprays their caller with but spray but there is always potential that someone has hands wet with bug spray containing deet and melts a finish.

IP Logged

Rick Howard

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:57pm

Thanks for the responses too!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 9:59am

Then I'll amend my statement.
I prefer NOT to mix oil and water based finishes, that said, this is one of those oil/water hybrid finishes that are starting to become more popular. 
Personally, I would let the teak oil (or any oils of this type) fully cure before you add a water-based or hybrid top-coat.
I think you should do an experiment before committing one of your calls to the process.
You can also email GF and see what the have to say.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 10:05am

And one can always wipe on a coat of DEWAXED shellac after the oil dries, as a tie coat between finishes.  Shellac adheres well to almost anything, and almost anything adheres well to shellac, with the caveat that water borne finishes do not bond well to wax, hence DEWAXED shellac is a fairly universal tie coat.

IP Logged

Rick Howard

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 5:01pm

Thank you. Thank you.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Solfest
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 7:50pm

I've used Woodturner's Finish over Watco that's fully cured and not had any issues on both Oak and Walnut.  Allows the oil to highlight the grain and then provides a good hard shiny surface.

IP Logged

Rick Howard

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 8:56pm

Thanks, Ron.  This is exactly what I'm going for.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 7:30am

Rick -- Watco Teak oil is a thinned varnish.  Works well but is one of the finishes where the name and the contents are only slightly related.  Formby Tung Oil is another. 

I have been playing with acrylic floor varnish  - mostly because I had a lot of it left over from a project.  Fast build, high solids, and surface dry fast.  Needs to cure a few days to become hard.   First coat does raise the grain, but sands off with 320 or 400 AO abrasive easily.  Fills endgrain very well for finish cuts on softer woods to reduce tearout. 

Generals Woodturning Finish seems to be thinned compared to the Enduro or floor acrylic finishes.  Works well, but needs a lot of coats.  Be sure it has time to cure if you are planning to buff.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2015 at 7:32am by Ken Vaughan »  

IP Logged

Rick Howard

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 10:39am

I have been experimenting with this finish more. 

It looks very nice over the watco oil. I used some different sanding sealers also.  With a couple coats of deft first it brought out any chatyonace and did not darken the wood like the oil.  I can not say I like the look of one over the other.  It really depends on what I want the end result to look like.

I like that the sanding sealer takes less time over all.  However, If I am saving time... I might as well just CA the call.  I can apply that twice as fast and it comes out looking good.  Also it offers my call a little more protection from water and bug spray.  I suppose I had this suspicion but I liked the price of the wood turners finsih.  I also found the nearly odder free shop was nice. 

Ken, I would like to know more about the acrylic finishes.  I have briefly messed with a few but have not spent much time with them.  I plan to in the future.  Is there a type you would recommend or a resource for reading about them?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print