Alan Hollar

WR Rocks!

Newland, North Carolina, USA
Newland
North Carolina
USA

Re: Pricing?
Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 8:38am

I am not suggesting artificial pricing at all,, just wishing for saner marketing environment, along with my wish for world peace and a 6 figure bank balance. It does explain the fact that I have difficulty having a polite conversation at a show with a turner who retails for less than my wholesale.  I am fortunate now that my marketing is done in a manner that avoids that situation, but that is not true for everyone.

IP Logged

Dale Dykhouse

Love, Joy, Peace

Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
Grand Rapids
Michigan
USA

Reply #16 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 1:22pm

Interesting reading, and as a retired person doing it as a hobby it tells me I better not try to sell anything less I offend a professional. I have never sold anything and have no plans to do so, for me it would take away from the pleasure of just making something. I would hate to think that I had to work to meet certain standards.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Wood is one of God's hidden /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 2:26pm

My initial plunge into turning was in 2008 with the idea that it would be a good hobby when I retired.  Having retired almost 5 years ago, my hobby has developed from making a few things for friends and family into selling and showing of my work in a couple galleries and doing a handful of art fairs and shows a year.  Thus, when I responded to this thread, my purpose was not to create a s--t storm but to share my pricing method and to share some of my thoughts on our hobby/profession.  As a result, it appears that some believe that I was trying to belittle those that sold things cheaply at a lower price than I do, as someone not worthy of being considered a woodturner.  In my non-retired profession one of my responsibilities included negotiating contracts with businesses and with personnel.  As a result, I understood the importance of making sure that both sides of the table believed that they were getting a fair and marketable value for the services or goods being traded.  That is what I was trying to do by encouraging others to get a fair and marketable value for what he or she creates on the lathe.  Yes, just as with any business or skill, there are those that can receive a high price than others.  It was never my intention to lead others to believe that I was trying to artificially inflate prices.  However, I am trying to help others keep prices from being artificially low.  As Jim Q stated, price can vary depending on where you are in the country. And, I know that I'm probably pretty near the top point on some of my items right now.  But, on the other hand, getting a fair and marketable price for an item is part of educating people on the true value of the art that we turn.  I have yet to see the MSRP on a car vary based on where in the country you buy the car.

As I said earlier, my purpose was not to offend anyone but to help raise the level of acceptance and appreciation for the craft/art of woodturning.  If I did offend anyone, I'm truly sorry.

Steve

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #18 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 2:46pm

Dale Dykhouse wrote on Apr 1st, 2015 at 1:22pm:
Interesting reading, and as a retired person doing it as a hobby it tells me I better not try to sell anything less I offend a professional. I have never sold anything and have no plans to do so, for me it would take away from the pleasure of just making something. I would hate to think that I had to work to meet certain standards.

Well, Dale..

Based on the fact that you have no intention of  selling anything and that you only do it for the fun of it.. then this whole conversation has no real relevance  to your situation so don't be worried or offended. 
You are free to do whatever your heart desires and if you ever DO want to sell something, feel free to sell it for any price you want. There aren't any pricing police following you around.

You don't have to meet anyones standards except your own.  If you're happy, then we're happy  for you. Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #19 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 4:15pm

Kind of an aside.  This article touches a bit on pricing. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #20 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 6:43pm

Steve or anyone else, This conversation comes up every once in a while and typically results in the same way. Usually someone gets offended, someone gets misunderstood, someone else gets confused, you get the idea. If I offended anyone, i am sorry, it's just that this has been going on soo long it's a bit of a sore spot.

It would be wonderful if you could have things on an even keel rather than the huge disparities in price on the same item based solely on who sold it and where but that's not the case. As far as getting turners to agree on something, well I think you'd be better off trying to herd cats, they are artists after all.

Steve Doerr wrote on Apr 1st, 2015 at 2:26pm:
getting a fair and marketable price for an item is part of educating people on the true value of the art that we turn.

This is a never ending process and usually has to be done with every customer as part of the sale. Not many people who are educated in wooden art forms are looking to buy them, they're usually the ones making them.
I would encourage everyone hobbyist and professionals alike to not undersell but that's all you can do.

IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #21 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 9:52am

I've heard of folks coming up with formula's based on size.  say $8.00 per inch in diameter for bowls.  A 10" bowl would sell for $80.00.   Some change the price based on the event.  the same 10" bowl at a craft fair would go for $80.00, but at an art show it would go for $180.00. 

You have to ask your self if you are in it for a business or for the fun of it.  Then base your needs on the answer.  If its the business and you produce a flawless, defect free item that has your guarantee to last a life time then charge the higher end price.  If this is to keep you stocked in the tools and wood then charge a decent price that doesn't break the bank but also let people know that you are standing behind the piece you created. 

As with everything else woodturning, we have varied opinions.  NONE are wrong as they fit our purpose.  Good luck in finding your price point!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #22 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 10:31am

As the saying goes,  "Never talk politics or religion with friends and family."  We might want to add pricing to that list Grin

IP Logged

David Meade
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Quispamsis, New Brunswick, Canada
Quispamsis
New Brunswick
Canada

Reply #23 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 1:15pm

I am retired, I class my skills as above average, I have done and taught woodworking for over 40 years. I take turnings and giftware to shows, I price fairly, I am not cheap. I don't feel sorry for those that feel their work is better and worth more, it is worth what your customer is willing to pay. I was taught long ago you try to get as much for your work as you can, and keep the customer  happy, and coming back. Most works of art are not worth anything until the artist is gone.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #24 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 4:03pm

David Meade wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 1:15pm:
Most works of art are not worth anything until the artist is gone.

Reminds of a quote from the famed photographer Ansel Adams

Quote:
When he decided to take photography seriously, he soon learned that it was impossible to earn a living doing the creative work he enjoyed most. For years, he supported his wife and two children by photographing everything from china and baked goods to women’s corsets. “I learned more from the bread-and-butter photography than from any other source,” he says. The financial picture has changed, of course. When a print of his “Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico” sold for $71,500–the most ever paid for a photograph–Adams cracked, “Don’t they know I’m not dead yet?”

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Anthony Yakonick

Reply #25 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 6:09pm

Magic 8 ball or a dart board

If it don't hold soup, it's art!!

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #26 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 6:59pm

I would suggest the diameter and height should be added together before multiplying by a cost factor.  An 8" bowl 2" high should cost less than an 8" bowl 4" high.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #27 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 7:28pm

Ron, this is a sign I'm thinking would be a fun sign to post at my booth during some of the art fairs.  It might at least get a few laughs.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #28 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 8:20pm

Steve Doerr wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 7:28pm:
It might at least get a few laughs.

Steve.  I love it!

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #29 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 10:03pm

Steve Doerr wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 7:28pm:
Ron, this is a sign I'm thinking would be a fun sign to post at my booth during some of the art fairs.  It might at least get a few laughs.

How True!

Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print