Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mobile Sales and Upcoming Compliance Rules (Read 890 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Mobile Sales and Upcoming Compliance Rules
Apr 8th, 2015 at 7:54pm

Eighteen months ago I started making credit card sales using a smartphone and mobile card reader.  The charges are processed by my bank.

Last week I received a form letter from my bank advising that every credit card processor will have to demonstrate proof of compliance with new security guidelines, and suggesting I switch to a terminal.

Unless I opt out, starting 1 May I will be charged $8/month for a compliance service that will require continuous access to my computer's IP address.  So this sounds like it is for vendors with a card reader connected to a computer on the Internet.

I called my credit card processing vendor (First Data) and the support rep said they have been assured the card reader manufacturer will have a new smart phone reader by October that will recognize the chip in new credit cards.  But the rep couldn't tell me anything about getting compliance with the new guidelines.

Does anyone yet know what "compliance" will require on the part of a vendor using a smart phone?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Wood is one of God's hidden /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Re: Mobile Sales and Upcoming Compliance Rules
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 8:56pm

Don, is there a reason you don't use Square or one of the other similar companies.  They work on smart phones and charges can be stored on the phone until you have a WIFI connection.  Square will have available a new reader that will read the chips that they are going to be putting it in the new credit cards.  My understanding is that this reader will cost $35, but will not impact any of the other current practices or procedures that Square currently has.  No monthly fees 2.75% if card is read and 3.25% if card is entered by hand.  That's it no minimum no nothing. You can check them out at SquareUp.com. 

Check it out, there are a lot of us on here that use the Square and are very pleased with it.

Good luck,
Steve

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 9:42pm

Don Stephan wrote on Apr 8th, 2015 at 7:54pm:
Does anyone yet know what "compliance" will require on the part of a vendor using a smart phone?

A few years ago I had to go through compliance for my business which at the time only used a terminal.

The first part was a 20 or so question test to find out how I stored customer's credit card data. I found this test interesting because it was easy to change my answers as I went along in order to comply with their regulations. I really beleive they set this test up this way to make it easy.

The second part was to send in a check for $250.00, once they received the check I officially complied.

A year later I found out I had to repeat this procedure and switched to Square.

Don Stephan wrote on Apr 8th, 2015 at 7:54pm:
for a compliance service that will require continuous access to my computer's IP address. 

I'm going to guess that you'll need to get a SSL Certificate, price varies but its around $2-$4 per month
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:23pm

Square sent me  notice that I would have to turn on GPS location on my phone before processing any charges.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print