Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turnings from Turks & Caicos (Read 2,154 times)

Seamus Day

Turks & Caicos Islands, Bahamas
Turks & Caicos Islands
Bahamas

Re: Turnings from Turks & Caicos
Reply #15 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 1:01pm

Hi Jerry, I appreciate the comments and might just take you up on the turning lessons one day.. One of my business partners lives in Phoneix! I could definitely do with getting some new tools, I have a 3/4" spindle roughing gouge, an oval skew, a 1/8" parting tool, a 1/2" round nose scraper and a 3/8 gouge, but no big deal really as the small sized lumber  here is self limiting in that regard. I do have some big lumps of waterfall bubinga and other exotics left over from my cabinet making which I might turn, but wanted to wait until I had the requisite experience to do the wood justice.. 

Lignum Vitae is native here and I have a nice piece slowing  drying from a storm damaged tree that looks more like ebony it is so dark.

The bottoms are mostly mortices so I expand the chuck into them, but I have done a few with tenons.. I take the same approach I did with my cabinet making and never work to a plan and just make it all up as I go along.. Got caught out on glue up sequences a time or two like this, but it works for me generally.

"The impossible straight away, but miracles are taking a little longer right now"..

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #16 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 5:28pm

Until you get to a classroom, there are a huge number of instructional videos on this forum that show safe techniques.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2015 at 5:29pm by Don Stephan »  
IP Logged

James Saxinger

WR Rocks!

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
Canada

NOVA 2024
GI 25-200
Reply #17 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 7:25pm

Nice work Seamus, really like the cordia!!!

IP Logged

Seamus Day

Turks & Caicos Islands
Bahamas

Reply #18 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 10:16am

I have started looking a the videos, which are a great resource and one of the reasons for joining the site in the first place. I have been looking at you tube a lot as well and picked several projects to try and extend my skill set. Yesterday I tried a multi axis turning that was done by "Robbie the Woodturner " which turned out OK..

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1262.jpg (Attachment deleted)

"The impossible straight away, but miracles are taking a little longer right now"..

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #19 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 12:48pm

Very nice work.  The wood you have access to is beautiful.  Be sure and put your location on your profile.  Some of us may want to come visit and "borrow" some of your wood Grin

Welcome aboard.

IP Logged

Seamus Day

Turks & Caicos Islands
Bahamas

Reply #20 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 1:08pm

Thank you sir! I am in the beautiful tax free Turks & Caicos Islands, just south east of the Bahamas..!

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #21 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 1:17pm

Steve Doerr wrote on Apr 13th, 2015 at 12:48pm:
Be sure and put your location on your profile.  Some of us may want to come visit and "borrow" some of your wood

Seamus Day wrote on Apr 13th, 2015 at 1:08pm:
I am in the beautiful tax free Turks & Caicos Islands, just south east of the Bahamas..!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Seamus Day

Turks & Caicos Islands
Bahamas

Reply #22 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 1:27pm

Tried that on my profile page, but the Turks & Caicos Islands is not even an option on the drop down menu and is not recognized when I stick a pint in the map..  So I put The Bahamas, or next nearest neighbor.. Also cannot work out how to post a profile picture..

IP Logged

Kenn Harris

WR Fan!

Bellingham, WA, Washington, USA
Bellingham, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #23 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 7:55pm

Awesome turning and wood!!! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2