Send Topic Print
My shopIn TCI (Read 2,141 times)

Seamus Day

Turks & Caicos Islands, Bahamas
Turks & Caicos Islands
Bahamas

My shopIn TCI
Apr 13th, 2015 at 6:19pm

I have attached some pictures of my workshop, which was purpose built in 2009 to for the purpose of building free standing and fitted hardwood furniture for my house, which is almost finished.. The shop is about 1290 square feet with an additional 320 square foot deck that I can work outside from. One of the biggest challenges is the salt air and its ability to rust everything it comes into touch with, as the back of the shop is about 60 feet from the water and as there is nothing between the back of the house and Africa 3000 miles away, we get the best and the worst the Atlantic throws at us.. However, I would advise anyone who suffers from a rust problem to try ACF50 an aeronautical grade lubricant and rust preventive. It is amazing stuff and all my cast iron tops are like new, despite being in salt air for nearly 7 years. Whenever I work in the shop I open the main doors at the front and the quad door at the back and get excellent airflow, which keeps things cool.. Now I have got into turning, I need to reorganize the shop because although I am addicted to it, it is a seriously messy past time!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1289.jpeg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1287.jpeg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1285.jpeg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1283.jpeg (Attachment deleted)

"The impossible straight away, but miracles are taking a little longer right now"..

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Seamus Day

Turks & Caicos Islands
Bahamas

Re: My shopIn TCI
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 6:21pm

I included a picture of the workshop deck to show what I have to go through when I am working here.. But I guess someone has to do it Grin

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1280.jpeg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1278.jpeg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_0435.jpeg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_0188.jpeg (Attachment deleted)

"The impossible straight away, but miracles are taking a little longer right now"..

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 7:50pm

Seamus,  You have one jealous woodturner here in Cayman.  That is a great shop.  Mine is 11.5 x 11.5,  just a bit smaller. As Jim says "I don't have room to fall down" Cry
  I know mine is a delight to walk into.  I can't imagine how it must feel to walk into yours.    Smiley Smiley

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 10:51pm

Beautiful inside and out.  And you can't hear your back yard neighbors.

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 11:43pm

nice shop. must be rough having to work in that environment.  Wink Roll Eyes

would love to see some of your work. Thumbs Up

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Seamus Day

Turks & Caicos Islands
Bahamas

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 11:19am

Thanks gents.. I consider myself very fortunate. I have been dedicated to cabinet making for the last several years but have got this woodturning bug really bad! I am going to have to move things around to accommodate my new priority!

David, I have published some turning work on this site:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

But if you mean some of my cabinet work.. I figured it would be tantamount to blasphemy to post flat work on a wood turning forum and get me barred!!! Embarrassed

IP Logged

Michael Hawes
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Port Lavaca, Texas, USA
Port Lavaca
Texas
USA

Nova 3000 DVR / Jet 1410
Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 11:39am

Thanks for sharing pictures of your shop and the beautiful scenery.  I will try out the ACF50.  I live in Texas on the Gulf Coast and all of my exposed metal suffers from the high salt content in the air too!

WWW https://www.facebook.com/michael.hawes  
IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 3:07pm

Seamus Day wrote on Apr 14th, 2015 at 11:19am:
I figured it would be tantamount to blasphemy to post flat work on a wood turning forum and get me barred!!! Embarrassed

We actually have a place for  that kind of stuff.   Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Seamus Day

Turks & Caicos Islands
Bahamas

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 4:03pm

Michael Hawes wrote on Apr 14th, 2015 at 11:39am:
I will try out the ACF50.  I live in Texas on the Gulf Coast and all of my exposed metal suffers from the high salt content in the air too!

This is really good stuff. It is a little pricey at around $125 per gallon, but I have used the same gallon for several years. I soaked a cotton rag in it (actually one of my wifes tea towels Grin) and wipe the machines after each use without adding more ACF50.

If I am going away for a while,  I actually spay a few drops on the surface and have never had a single spot of rust, and I still have more than half of the original gallon left, so clearly better value in the longer term and a small price to pay in terms of machine maintenance, ease of use and longevity. I used to use it on my helicopters for the very same reason when operating in this type of saline environment.

IP Logged

Seamus Day

Turks & Caicos Islands
Bahamas

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 4:04pm

Thanks for that Len.. I will post some pics over the next few days without fear of being thrown off the forum!

We actually have a place for  that kind of stuff.   Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register [/quote]

IP Logged

Jerry Marcantel
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Tucson, Arizona, Arizona, USA
Tucson, Arizona
Arizona
USA

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 8:26pm

Pretty nice shop you have, Seamus. Looks like Jet has a monopoly there. hehehe I'm impressed by your view, but wouldn't want to be that close to an ocean during storms...... Jerry (in Tucson)

IP Logged

Larry McClish
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Canton, Georgia, USA
Canton
Georgia
USA

Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 8:49pm

Love the shop, but the view is WOW!

IP Logged