• Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Day 4 Progress (Read 1,046 times)

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Day 4 Progress
Jul 5th, 2015 at 9:53pm

Progress Day 4—Well, I was spending several hours thinking and studying the outside shape of the bowl. I just didn’t feel that the outside shape was something that I liked. So, I got some graph paper and drew the outside of the bowl. Once I did that and studied it, I realized that if I kept the outside shape, I would end up with a huge funnel once I turned the inside. So, I reduced the diameter of the foot and shortened the rim of the bowl. Picture 1—this is the revised profile of the bowl. I’m much happier with this new profile. Because of the size of this bowl blank I wanted to do something that I had never done before. That was to core the inside of the bowl. Coring requires a special tool that allows you to core (turn) a bowl shaped piece of wood from the inside of the bowl blank. Picture 2—this shows the markings on the top of the bowl that I’m using to indicate where I will do my coring. My plan was to core four bowls from the inside of the bowl. Pictures 3 & 4—this shows me coring out the second bowl blank. Picture 5—this is the inside of the bowl after the coring was complete. I was only able to get three bowl blanks instead of the four I had hope for. This was due to the fact the third coring went deeper than I had hoped/intended. Considering this was my first coring, I’m pretty happy with the results. Picture 6—these are the three cored bowls. I’m soaking them in denatured alcohol to keep them from drying too quickly and cracking. More pictures to come.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 4-1.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 4-2.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 4-3.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 4-4.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Re: Day 4 Progress
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 9:54pm

Here are pictures 5 & 6

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 4-5.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 4-6.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Dan Jechura

WR Rocks!

Temperance, Michigan, USA
Temperance
Michigan
USA

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2015 at 11:19am

when you core are you pushing in the coring tool or are you pulling the tool to the left and the curve of the blade curves in to make the cut?  i have one and i am having problems.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 12:49pm

Dan, first let me say I'm not an expert at coring.  This was not my first attempt at coring but it was my first successful coring.  I think the size of your tenon and the size of jaws on your 4 jaw chuck can make a huge difference. 

With that being said, what I did was a combination of the two--moving the handle to the left while at the same time pushing it into the wood.  Just think of it as a curved parting tool.  Neither is self feeding.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 6:07pm

Steve Doerr wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 12:49pm:
Just think of it as a curved parting tool.  Neither is self feeding.

I have the McNaughton and what Steve said is the best description I have ever heard of it.

Every type of wood is difference and cores differently. One thing I picked up somewhere is a side-to-side motion of the handle when the tool is deep in the cut can seem to help it keep feeding.
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2015 at 8:00pm by Tony Rozendaal »  

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 6:35pm

Our own Bob Hamilton has a nice video on coring, and I think Reed Gray also has one.  But I don't have links to them.

IP Logged

Dan Jechura

WR Rocks!

Temperance, Michigan, USA
Temperance
Michigan
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 9:28am

I have watch a lot of videos and I will keep on trying.  Thank you for help.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 10:32am

Dan,

I have a different coring system, however I have found that  the sensitivity to get success is temperature.

Temperature is controled with:
Rotational speed
Pressure at cutting tip
Sharpness of cutting tip
Moisture content of the wood (usually not your control)

I found more binding issues as the heat goes up.  Control the temperature by working with the above factors and the results are usually good (if your initial layout and setup are correct).

Remember, coring is simply a mechanical process, not an art form.  Save the art work for Turning. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print