Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tricks for gluing rings with large number of segments. (Read 1,811 times)

Julian Roslanowski

WR Rocks!

Rancho Cucamonga, California, USA
Rancho Cucamonga
California
USA

PM 3520B
Tricks for gluing rings with large number of segments.
Aug 31st, 2015 at 4:38pm

Looking for some advice on what others do to glue up large numbers of segments in a ring before the glue starts setting.  I made a 24 segment ring and just barely got it together and clamped; the glue started to set.  I am using Titebond III which is supposed to have a longer set up time.   I plan on making rings (16 segments) with complimentary, primary, and thin strips which is another 16 pieces for a total of 32 segments to glue together.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Tricks for gluing rings with large number of segments.
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 5:37pm

I glue 2-3 segments at a time, when they set I then glue 2-3 sections together and so on until I complete a ring.

I also try to get glue sections that are either 1/4 circles or half circles so I can correct the angles if needed.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 9:30am

Ron Sardo wrote on Aug 31st, 2015 at 5:37pm:
I glue 2-3 segments at a time, when they set I then glue 2-3 sections together and so on until I complete a ring.

I also try to get glue sections that are either 1/4 circles or half circles so I can correct the angles if needed.

+1

IP Logged

Walt Nollan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 9:41am

Ron Sardo wrote on Aug 31st, 2015 at 5:37pm:

+2

The other option is to apply the glue without compressing the pieces together until all the segments have glue on them.  Then compress the segments together ensuring that they all still have adequate glue and get the alignment as perfect as possible.  Those that have tried this are saying to themselves "Ya right!"  Besides making a huge mess you'll end up re-cutting your segments over again and then gluing up quarter circles.  It is possible but getting that many pieces together all at once is not worth the chance.  Not to mention that the accent pieces tend to slide around  during this process while the clock is ticking.

IP Logged

Julian Roslanowski

WR Rocks!

Rancho Cucamonga
California
USA

PM 3520B
Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 9:41am

I have been using Jerry Bennett's cutting jig so correcting angles is not an issue.   When I glued up my 24 segment ring I used a small hose clamp in the middle to help keep the segments from moving too much.  When inserting thin pieces, they tend to warp when applying glue so I prefer to glue the entire ring at once.  I was wondering if others who have more experience with segmented projects might have suggestions how to glue up numerous segments all at once.

IP Logged

Jim Killen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

NYC, New York, USA
NYC
New York
USA

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 12:03pm

Lay out masking tape of sufficient length to cover the circumference + 4", on a flat surface sticky side up. (Fasten the ends with small pieces of tape sticky side down.) Using a straight edge for alignment, place all the ring segments on the tape with the outer edge down. (Fastened to the tape) Put glue on the inner surfaces of your segments. (I use an acid brush) When you have the glue spread evenly, pick up the ends of the tape and form a ring. (The extra 4"will hold everything in place) Lay the ring flat, put a hose clamp on the ring, and tighten. Clean up the squeeze out and set the ring aside to dry.

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 12:51pm

Jim Killen wrote on Sep 1st, 2015 at 12:03pm:
Lay out masking tape of sufficient length to cover the circumference + 4", on a flat surface sticky side up. (Fasten the ends with small pieces of tape sticky side down.) Using a straight edge for alignment, place all the ring segments on the tape with the outer edge down. (Fastened to the tape) Put glue on the inner surfaces of your segments. (I use an acid brush) When you have the glue spread evenly, pick up the ends of the tape and form a ring. (The extra 4"will hold everything in place) Lay the ring flat, put a hose clamp on the ring, and tighten. Clean up the squeeze out and set the ring aside to dry.

That is how I have been doing it.I've done 64 pieces at once.Before I tighten the clamp I press the ring flat to get all pieces even.Also I like to test the ring first in the clamp without glue to make sure all joints are perfect.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 3:41pm

Julian Roslanowski wrote on Aug 31st, 2015 at 4:38pm:
Looking for some advice on what others do to glue up large numbers of segments in a ring before the glue starts setting.  I made a 24 segment ring and just barely got it together and clamped; the glue started to set.  I am using Titebond III which is supposed to have a longer set up time.

I would try this
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Extend Wood Glue

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Brock

WR Rocks!

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Phoenix
Arizona
USA

NOVA DVR
Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 7:31am

I use Titebond II (the regular stuff) and have not had trouble getting rings of up to 32 segments, although I assemble the pieces as I glue them and then put a clamp on it.  As I am making rings to add to a conventional single piece bowl base as an accent I don't know if this process has issues with a fully segmented bowl. I don't know why it should; I think most of the strength is in the face grain glue joint between the ring layers. That joint goes together much quicker - I just put glue on the prepped lip of the bowl and clamp the assembled ring to it.
Link below to an example of what I am talking about in case I am not being clear.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Julian Roslanowski

WR Rocks!

Rancho Cucamonga
California
USA

PM 3520B
Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 10:17am

I will try the tape idea that Jim mentioned.  Part of my problem might be that the weather has been very hot and dry (+100 F) and the glue dries quickly.  Thanks for all your feedback.

IP Logged

Walt Nollan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2015 at 10:45am

One issue with the tape you have to watch out for is thin veneers getting spit out when closing the ring to clamp it up.  If t you are quick, vigilant  and have the force with you it will glue up good.  So may the force be with you!  Corny, but what the heck!

IP Logged

John Heyd
WR Noob

Segmented Wood Turners
spin

Brentwood, California, USA
Brentwood
California
USA

Reply #11 - Sep 15th, 2015 at 4:48pm

Julian Roslanowski wrote on Sep 1st, 2015 at 9:41am:
I have been using Jerry Bennett's cutting jig so correcting angles is not an issue.   When I glued up my 24 segment ring I used a small hose clamp in the middle to help keep the segments from moving too much.  When inserting thin pieces, they tend to warp when applying glue so I prefer to glue the entire ring at once.  I was wondering if others who have more experience with segmented projects might have suggestions how to glue up numerous segments all at once.

I too use Jerry's segeasy system and have had no trouble glueing up to 48 segments at a time using a hose clamp but, and here is the caution, make sure you do it when the weather is not too hot.   Typically I'll use Titebound II or III to give me a little bit more time.   I've even used II extend for the extra time.   Work fast, cool temps and you should be OK.

IP Logged

Ray Stubbs

WR Rocks!

Columbia, Mo., USA
Columbia, Mo.
USA

Reply #12 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 12:53pm

Be careful not to use the glue below temperatures recommended on the container. It will definitely weaken the joint.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print