Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reclaimed Oak Mantlepiece beam. (Read 1,340 times)

Andy Mauger

Initiate Vortex rider..

Winchester, United Kingdom
Winchester
United Kingdom

Reclaimed Oak Mantlepiece beam.
Sep 10th, 2015 at 5:52am

Hi all.

Quick (I hope) question...

I "acquired" some off cuts from an Oak Mantlepiece beam and have been thinking of turning them into?

The attached pics are a 1st attempt, but you will notice the splits..! My question is this:

What would you do with these? I am loathed to chop the offcuts up and use for firewood, and have been considering cutting the splits out and using epoxy with a filler, but not 100%....

Oh, and the splits do run through the walls.

Any tips/tricks more than welcome.

Cheers,

Andy
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2015 at 5:52am by Andy Mauger »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Split1.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Split2.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jeff Hart

Enjoy the ride!

Aurora, Illinois, USA
Aurora
Illinois
USA

Re: Reclaimed Oak Mantlepiece beam.
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 8:37am

Love turning oak but splits are very common in it. If just hairline splits, I use CA to stabilize them. To me, oak is a very rustic looking wood and the splits add to the charm of it. If a bit wider , I use turquoise powder & epoxy to add a nice contrast to the oak grain or, if split goes with the grain, coffee grounds & epoxy to look like the grain.

Never do anything halfway!
IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 12:00pm

You  could consider adding some oil based paint to west system epoxy and fill the cracks. Just be sure to tape the opposite side of the piece as the west system epoxy will flow through the smallest crevice if it is warm. Color choice is infinite and easy it does not take much to tint the epoxy.

IP Logged

Andy Mauger

Initiate Vortex rider..

Winchester
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 12:25pm

I had looked at the West system, wasn't sure if it was suitable for turning though....

I had asked for some advice from companies who sell epoxy, and each one directed me to their most expensive product Wink

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 12:33pm

Bert, I was always told to use acrylic artist's paint to color epoxy, so that is what I have always used.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga, Georgia, USA
Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Lindow -White Rose Engine
Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 2:59pm

Andy,

Yes, epoxy is expensive but the good thing is it's long shelf life. I've had some MAS epoxy in the shop for 8-10 years and it still works just fine. If you just have some small cracks etc to fill, you can get some 5 minute epoxy from HD.

I've been working with some of the Alumilite products, again not cheap, but they suggest a shelf life of 6mo to a year.

And yes, you can use artist acrylic paints to tint the epoxy as well as most of the wood dyes that are available.

Ron

It is easier to be forgiven than to get permission!

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 4:06pm

JimQuarles wrote on Sep 10th, 2015 at 12:33pm:
Bert, I was always told to use acrylic artist's paint to color epoxy, so that is what I have always used.

Interesting Jim, I was told only to avoid water based paints. I would guess that artists paints are generally in small tubes so ease of use would lean towards it. It sure doesn't take much to effectively change the colour.  My buffalo bowl was done with oil base paint and west system, with no issues to date.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register image_049.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Andy Mauger

Initiate Vortex rider..

Winchester
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 7:54am

So, yeah: Oops..!

Luckily it wasn't spinning at full revs. Not the lightest item to fly off at you.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register AA.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register BB_001.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print