Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
NOVA New Products
Oct 28th, 2015 at 8:26am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I've been checking the site periodically ever since I received an email telling me about the new products.
Originally all the new products were supposed to be available in Oct. Now that Oct is almost over I see they have changed the description under each item to say "Available from November, call to pre-order today"
Does anyone know whats going on at Nova? Is there a problem or are they being extra cautious after the issues they had with the Infinity release?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Re: NOVA New Products
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 6:27pm

I suspect it may be a combination of both...with strong competition from the new Grizzly model I'm sure they don't want another PR problem as with the Infinity.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 6:40pm

Ed...I just spent some time on the Teknatool web site...I'm sure it's just me but it seems like every time I visit their site their prices go up and up, even on their 'factory reconditioned' pieces.  Their larger 2024 lathe is now going for almost $2,800...I've seen the larger Powermatics on CL for far less money than that.  I love my DVR XP but if and when it goes it may be a tough choice on replacing it.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 8:35pm

John, you have to remember that anything sold on their reconditioned page has a full factory warranty.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 8:01am

Yes...I purchased my NOVA DVR XP from their re-conditioned site several years ago and really felt like I found a great deal for the money.  That said and with appreciate for pricing pressures always seem to go 'upwards', it seems like their pricing has gone up exponentially as of late.  I have believed for some time that Teknatool occupies a nice niche in the wood turning world...reasonable cost for a tool that sits at the high end of the hobbyist world before one gets into what I refer to as the 'silly' high-end money of the Powermatics and Robusts.  Don't get me wrong...those are obviously great tools and I hope to graduate to one those in the years to come but YIKES, they're pricey.  I simply hope that Teknatool, as compared to the new Grizzly product, doesn't price themselves out of their niche.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 8:25am

I have to agree with you John.
Instead of being satisfied with the portion of the market they occupy, lately they seem to be trying to compete against others when there is no reason to do so.
You don't have to try and compete with every product and every price your "competitors" offer.
There have definitely been a few missteps in the last couple of years.
The infinity chuck is a good example, just as announcing new tools and having them unavailable is another.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 9:33am

Two examples to exemplify the point.  First, I noticed that Teknatool has released a new set of Cole jaws and auxilliary Cole jaw 'extension' but clearly states that the new Cole jaw extension will not work on their legacy 10" Cole Jaws.  This seems odd for a company that in the past has prided itself and touted that their materials can be retro-fitted.  Second, their tail stock 'swing away' hinge.  Purchased on recently only to realize that it's not big enough in and of itself to swing the tail stock away and is designed to act as a hing for lathe bed extension.  While I've made my own platform to go on the backside, another NOVA user recently shared a New Zealand company that makes a true tail stock swing away platform that marries up perfectly with the DVR.  I'm sure it's due to marketing, etc but another example of where I think Teknatool missed the mark on what one would think would be 'slam dunk' sales.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 10:25am

THe large cole jaws were what I was interested in. The point you make about retro fitting is important. IMO they would have been better off just making the jaws sized for a 16" swing lathe (a popular size)

Mini Cole Jaws are suitable for lathes with a minimum 8”/203mm swing diameter.

Standard Cole Jaws are suitable for lathes with minimum 12”/300mm swing diameter.

NEW! 12"/304mm Cole Jaws
Suitable for lathes with a minimum 16" swing diameter. Diecast aluminium with pre-set holes, for precise closing, durability and long life. Comes with 4 jaw segments, special fasteners, standard rubber bumpers and instructions. Additional accessory bumpers are available. 

This set has a unique feature which enables you to add a NOVA Cole Jaw Extension Kit 6039 and take the capacity from up to 12"/304mm through to 15"/381mm (additional purchase) Note the other NOVA Cole Jaws in the range, the Standard 10" JSCOLE and Mini 8" 6006 Cole Jaws cannot accept the extension feature.

NEW! Extension Accessory for your NOVA 12"/304mm Cole Jaws
Takes your 12" Cole Jaws to 15"/386mm diameter!

Note the other NOVA Cole Jaws in the range, the Standard 10" JSCOLE and Mini 8" 6006 Cole Jaws cannot accept the extension feature. Suitable for lathes with minimum of 16"/406mm diameter capacity.

So the mini and the Standard are described by the minimum lathe swing, while the New lists the actual size and the lathe swing.
The overlap and size description can be, to say the least, confusing.

Hears an idea,
8" cole jaws
10" cole jaws
12" cole jaws
2" extension for 12" cole jaws,

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 11:02am

Still no tools, pathetic.
Most of the tools that were originally to be available in October are still unavailable and listed as out of stock. Example
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I would really like to know what's going on over there

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 11:08am

Interesting...
1) Are they going through a delivery lag?
2) Are they struggling through a growth process?
3) Are they struggling financially as a company?

Hopefully it's one of the first two and not the latter.  Fortunately...I don't 'need' anything right now though I certainly have a number of items on my Christmas list (Outrigger, lathe bed ext, etc).

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 11:20am

I agree with you John, I hope whatever is happening over there is fixable. They have had a few missteps recently and they seem to be continuing.
They already missed the get new tools to make Christmas gifts segment of turners.
Very soon (if not already) they will miss gifts for turners altogether.

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 2:14pm

Since some suppliers are now selling Record chucks which supposedly are compatible with Nova makes me wonder if the company is on its way out.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 2:37pm

Packard has the new nova products listed in the catalog I recently got.

Sorby, Record, and Nova now have mutually interchangeable jaws.  That should be a win for turners. 

The Infinity jaws and some titan jaws are not interchangeable.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #13 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 2:57pm

I think the Record chucks are actually being made for them by Nova.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #14 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 3:42pm

John Grace wrote on Dec 4th, 2015 at 11:08am:
Interesting...
1) Are they going through a delivery lag?
2) Are they struggling through a growth process?
3) Are they struggling financially as a company?

4) Maybe someone pi--ed off the Chinese?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print