California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: NOVA New Products
Reply #15 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 6:18pm

Ken Vaughan wrote on Dec 4th, 2015 at 2:37pm:
Packard has the new nova products listed in the catalog I recently got

You can write anything in a catalog, doesn't mean they have it in stock.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #16 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 8:38am

Ed Weber wrote on Oct 28th, 2015 at 8:26am:
Does anyone know whats going on at Nova?

They have been around a long time...maybe senility?
I almost pity the new turner trying to work through the quagmire of data.  For those who have been around a while it is more  "Ok, this is what they mean".
For example, the Infinity chuck.
May be very good but unless someone knows different I can only find limited jaws available.  In the bowl they list seven but only produce three so the largest available is about the same as the 50mm.  They offer two in the sawtooth design and one in the smooth design.  Why not produce the full seven in the bowl design first?  If you want 100mm bowl you have to buy the old style and the upgrade kit.

What chucks can be upgraded?
Here they say .. Important note: Infinity Quick Change System is NOT compatible with the NOVA Precision Midi or NOVA Titan Chuck AND *Important note: This product is for those with an existing NOVA Chuck that they want to upgrade to Infinity Quick Change Technology. It is compatible with the G3 and SuperNOVA2 Chucks purchased from 2004. Chucks older than 2004 will need to purchase the SuperNOVA2 Infinity Chuck option to achieve the Quick Change technology.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here they say...
UPGRADE KIT SKU 8100
Kit containing 4 Infinity Jaw Slides, enabling you to replace your old existing NOVA chuck jaw slides (G3, SuperNOVA2 and Precision Midi models) with the Infinity quick change technology.
UPGRADE KIT TITAN SKU 8120
Kit containing 4 Infinity Jaw Slides, enabling you to replace your old existing NOVA Titan II chuck jaw slides with the Infinity quick change technology.

So now you can upgrade your Precision Midi and "old" Titan II?  You must be able to; if you scroll down to page ten it even list the exact opening ranges for the Midi and Titan.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
On the same link  on page 7 they list Explanation of common chucking techniques Expanding Dovetail, Spigot, and Free End.  On page 10 they list Operational Modes as Expanding Dovetail, Reverse Dovetail, and Spigot.
What the heck?? Roll Eyes So what Operation do you use the Free End technique with....  and what Technique do you use the Reverse Dovetail operation with?

I like Nova products a lot (2 Lathes and 7 chucks) but

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2015 at 8:40am by Mike Mills »  

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #17 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 11:32am

I heard that they don't offer the larger jaws for the Infinity chuck since they are not as secure as they would be with a normal SN2.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #18 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 12:47pm

I actually have an infinity Chuck in hand.  I needed to replace a "value" Chuck I got several years ago for the little lathe and found one of the infinity chucks for an attractive price.

I have several sn2 chucks for the big lathe. 

I got it with the smooth detailed jaws labeled the #3 which are equivalent to the nominal 2 inch jaws.  The jaws snap into the slides easily and it takes longer to get the jaw numbers in order than to install or remove them.

I can get from Amazon the dove tailed jaws in 3 sizes and the same three sizes are available in a "sawtooth" or "profiled format.   I have some if the Oneway profiled jars and prefer the dove tailed form.

Also available are the nominal  1 inch pin style jaws with a dovetail on the end.  I got these as similar in function to the smallest O'Donnell jaws.

Also got the adapter set to allow the standard Nova/Sorby/Record jaws to be used.  That will allow me to use a pair of 100mm jaws for offset turning of the backlog shawl buttons.

The slide/jaws are a tighter fit than in the SN2 chucks.  That is less slop in the fit.  Both do tighten up to a tight fit.  The dovetail jaws have a larger cross section consistent with the Nova claim for a more rigid system capable of supporting longer cantilever pieces. 

I an,not seeing any indication that this is less than one of the better quality chucks.  Plan to get one of the larger jaws when they are available.

Do like the fast easy jaw change.

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2015 at 12:48pm by Ken Vaughan »  

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #19 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 9:27am

Ken Vaughan wrote on Dec 5th, 2015 at 12:47pm:
I can get from Amazon the dove tailed jaws in 3 sizes and the same three sizes are available in a "sawtooth" or "profiled format.
Also available are the nominal  1 inch pin style jaws with a dovetail on the end.

Thanks for the update on the available jaws.  Thumbs Up  I did not look at Amazon but just some woodturning tool stores.
It's good to know they are offering a greater variety.  I do like the new system of the sizes; for example in the bowl jaws each step up is the same 15mm and the jaw profiles are the same inside and out.  Maybe soon they will offer the full line.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 12:30pm

To clarify,
I am not questioning the quality of Nova/Teknatool tools. I own several SuperNova 2 chucks and jaws.
I am only questioning their recent history of, what some may consider, poor marketing.
Promising products and not delivering is sometimes an irreversible hit to your reputation.
I am glad for the turner, that there are other resources for accessories (jaws) but that brings me back to the original question. What's going on at Teknatool

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #21 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 2:23pm

Mike Mills wrote on Dec 6th, 2015 at 9:27am:
Maybe soon they will offer the full line.

The Nova web site advises that the larger Infinity jaws are scheduled to be available in 2016  ---   

Supply chain logistics in van load lots from NZ and Asia is an interesting challenge for small firms like Kelton and Nova. 

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #22 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 3:28pm

Ken Vaughan wrote on Dec 6th, 2015 at 2:23pm:
Supply chain logistics in van load lots from NZ and Asia is an interesting challenge for small firms like Kelton and Nova

One would submit that if you have manufacturing facilities in two or more counties and two or more continents, you are not small.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #23 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 4:28pm

Ed Weber wrote on Dec 6th, 2015 at 12:30pm:
I am only questioning their recent history ......

I'm not sure their "history" has changed much.

I purchased the Comet 2 for my daughter shortly after they came out in 2012.  It was about 9 months before they had/offered the plate to attach the grinding jig to the lathe.  They showed about 5-6 other attachments (which I was never interested in) and I have never seen any of them on the market after almost four years.

The Infinity came out late 2013/early 2014.  After two years they now say some additional jaws will be available in 2016?
I'm not in logistics but I do rent 20' conex and you can put a lot of jaw sets in one little conex box.

Heck, I have ordered some stuff on the bay from China and received it in the mail in less than two weeks.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #24 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 5:55pm

I have sent and received overseas containers many times in the past, it's not that hard. Now if you don't have anything to fill it with, that's another story.
Hopefully they will sort out their issues for everyone's' sake.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #25 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 11:05am

Here we go again.
I just received an email this morning, some of these items were supposed to be available in November.

Also, it seems that the reconditioned SN2's are not quite the same bargain as they used to be. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
They're only $189 for a new one at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print