Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Key bowl with stained glass flower. (Read 1,424 times)

william trench

WR Rocks!

South Salem, USA
South Salem
USA

Hmmmmm
Reply #15 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 8:57am

This brings up an interesting paradox. I have often ended up putting the most interesting grain feature such as a crotch flame or branch cap on the bottom of a bowl. Sometimes I just want to hang it on the wall. I also realize that once the bowl is put to use and anything is placed in it, the prime beauty is essentially gone.
Rob, your solution is perfect.
Bill

wood turned good
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW kitchawanwood  
IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Re: Key bowl with stained glass flower.
Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 1:06pm

Bert Delisle wrote on Nov 15th, 2015 at 10:41pm:
Wouldn't there always be a void under the glass? The lead would be in contact with the wood bottom. Would floating the stained glass on a puddle of epoxy be an option? no voids.

That would probably help,or that made me think of maybe just some clear silicone caulking underneath,to fill that void.It might end up  with a pretty thick bottom,with a wood disc,filler,then glass.
Now that made me think ,how about no wood disc under the glass, just turn the finished bowl over and pour a thick layer of clear resin over it,maybe over both sides of the glass?

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Key bowl with stained glass flower.
Reply #17 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:55pm

Bert Delisle wrote on Nov 15th, 2015 at 10:41pm:
Wouldn't there always be a void under the glass? The lead would be in contact with the wood bottom. Would floating the stained glass on a puddle of epoxy be an option? no voids.

Maybe Bert, I'm thinking the lead would be touching the wood and since I'm thinking the insert would be small, and the cut glass even smaller, there shouldn't be a problem unless someone wanted to use the bowl for a game of basketball.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print