WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Scorched ash bowls
Nov 14th, 2015 at 8:26pm

Here are a couple bowls with some embellishment - both are ash and have scorched with a MAPP torch.

The difference between the two is the amount of scorching that they received.  The lighter colored one sold today at a craft fair. Both are finished with wipe-on-poly.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register BWL_2015_OCT_ASH_NE_SCRCH_A.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register BWL_2015_SEP_ASH01a.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register BWL_2015_SEP_ASH01b.JPG (Attachment deleted)

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Re: Scorched ash bowls
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 9:35pm

I like the first one ,how about light on the inside and darker on the outside.

IP Logged

Jeff Hart
WR Patron

Enjoy the ride!

Aurora, Illinois, USA
Aurora
Illinois
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 8:15am

I like the look of both, especially the darker one. Question: I tried scorching an ash piece but as it cooled, checks and a split developed. I tried to take my time and not get the flame too close to the wood. Any suggestions to prevent this?

Never do anything halfway!
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 12:55pm

Tony, interesting pieces, so now the questions
What type of torch do you use?
Do you have the pieces rotating when scorched?
How long do you hold the flame on the wood for each effect (darker & lighter)?
How far away do you keep the flame and/or torch head?

Thanks in advance

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 7:17pm

Thanks for the comments. 

I like the suggestion about lighter inside and darker outside.

I'll try to answer the questions.

I used a MAP torch, only because that is what I had in the shed. I think propane would work as well.  As best I can recall, I held the head of the torch about 1 to 1-1/2 inches away from the wood.  I always kept the torch moving - to get a darker color I used multiple passes across the area. Occasionally I got a little flame from the surface but used that as an indication that I was moving the torch too slowly.

I set the wood on the cement apron in front of my shop and worked around it. To do the bottom, I set the bowl upside down on something like a paint can to hold it steady.  I wore a glove on my left hand to be able to move or steady the bowl as needed.

I think the wood was fairly green when I scorched it, that may be one reason it did not check too badly as it was scorched.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 11:05am

I have done heat treatments on Ash as well, but to a different end.

First - Sometimes I apply the heat with the wood right on the lathe (Photo below) but I would not recommend it (this photo was taken during a demo I did for our club).

The photos below are of some pine, however it shows how one can accent the grain.  I burned, then coated with WOP to seal the wood, then applied white Gesso and wiped off the high grain to bring out the patterns left by the scorched wood.  Afterward I truned a small bowl in the middle to show the original wood.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Heat_Treatment_004.JPG (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register DSC_0200vs.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register DSC_0216vs.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 11:23am

Great job Tom, very dramatic presentation. Thumbs Up

IP Logged