Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using Microwave on Green Wood Turnings (Read 768 times)

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Using Microwave on Green Wood Turnings
Nov 15th, 2015 at 11:49am

How much does using a microwave on green wood help in drying? Any pros/cons or special tips??? I was thinking on using it after turning on some pieces. Thanks!!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Re: Using Microwave on Green Wood Turnings
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 2:00pm

NEVER use the microwave in the house.... Probably don't need to explain that one. Short bursts, in the 60 second range, and not on high temp. Depending on the wood, and thickness, it will take several blasts. Let it cool off a bit between blasts. If there is no longer steam coming out, then it is dry. If you think it is getting close, shorter blasts. If it is smoking, well, too late. Good way to dry woods that want to crack as the process breaks down cell walls or some thing like that, to get all the cellular water out without stress. The wood will still warp. Not sure how it works for twice turned bowls, in part because I never turn that way. I can dry my once turned bowls in the shop without having to microwave each one multiple times with much less effort.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 6:02pm

Naaaaaa My wife would hang me lol...I have an old one we had in the house at one time....Ill remember the tips.......It was just here and I decided it maybe could be used sometime.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 7:13pm

Hoping to be able to flex a thin bowl into more dramatic warping I experimented a bit.  The wood wasn't as flexible as I hoped.  For me, too much work for simply drying once turned bowls.

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 7:46pm

I have done a couple,short spurts like Robo-hippy said and cool in-between .I put it on the scale before and in-between a few times until there was no difference in weight ,then I figured it was dry.I did it on twice turned and it worked fine without cracking and warped slightly,for me anyway.
It does stink up the microwave though ,no wife, nuff said. Grin

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 11:28am

Mike - depending upon the wood, I have noticed that there is some color changes associated with the microwaving process.

The photo below is of some white birch that shows this color variation I experienced.  I rough turned it, ran it thru the micowave process (short bursts, then cooling between) until it was fairly dry, then finished turned and carved the outside.  These were donations for a local charity.

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 12:57am

Like the Robo Hippy said Don't let the smoke leak out.  I was almost done with some spindle blanks.  One last shot in the neuculator, Well I got distracted and forgot about them for a couple of minutes.  Black from the inside out.   Angry  Sad

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print