Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
turquoise sand resource ? (Read 2,099 times)

Tom Megow

Eastaboga, Alabama, USA
Eastaboga
Alabama
USA

turquoise sand resource ?
Nov 15th, 2015 at 2:25pm

I am trying to find some turquoise sand to fill defects. I am finding turquoise that runs from Sky blue to light green. IMHO turquoise lands some where in between. Where do y'all get your inlay material. Hobby Lobby is the only place I have found any. It is very blue. Any helpful hints?
Thanks
Tom
Ala
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2015 at 2:25pm by Tom Megow »  

"Not all who wander are lost"

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: turquoise sand resource ?
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 7:58pm

Turquoise naturally runs from white through the blues to green.  I have been using the Turquoise colored Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register with CA or epoxy.  It is kind of like ground up TruStone.  I had been buying it at Woodcraft.  They don't list it on their website, but they had it in the local store last time.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Curtis Warstler
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

Thornton, Colorado, USA
Thornton
Colorado
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 10:50pm

Alot depends on where it is mined. I get all my mineral when we have the Gem and Mineral show come through town. If I can find my contacts ill let you know.

So many hobbies so little time.....
IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:46pm

I got some ground turquoise from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register a few years ago. I have used it on several projects and color comes out great after sanding. I used with 5 minute epoxy.

Turn Safe - Dave G.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Richard Pyle

Carpe Lignum

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 7:57pm

You can crush your own also. I go to Hobby Lobby's bead section & look for natural stones (they're on strings) and crush them myself. That way I get the exact color & size I want.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Wood is one of God's hidden /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 11:30pm

Tom, I'm like Jim and use the granular Inlace turquoise.  I also mix it with brass key filing that gives it a more natural appearance.  The only place that I have been able to find it is a online company called Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

IP Logged

Steve nix
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

Iota, Louisiana, USA
Iota
Louisiana
USA

Grizzly mini, 1642 Jet, s750 Stubby
Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 9:40am

I've bought Chinese nuggets off eBay and crush my own. Good prices and free shipping.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Wood is one of God's hidden /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 9:47am

Richard and Steve--What do you use to crush your turquoise nuggets?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 12:42pm

Steve
I have seen a post someone got some either 3" or 4" black iron pipe put a cap on it & cut to length you want. this holds the stone to be crushed. Then they take some 1" gas pipe & put cap on it you can even put something inside to give it more weight. then pound until it's as small as you like or pound until your hearts content

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 8:42am

Go to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and give them a call and ask for floor sweepings. Despite what its called its pretty clean turquoise.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 9:00am

I spent a month in Colorado with some fellow rock hunters and found some nice turquoise.  To crush it, I use a 1" wide piece of re-bar dropping it repeatedly in a can.  The can I use is an Asparagus can because it is taller than most, yet narrow so the crushing area is not so large. I then filter it through various screens to get the size i need, dropping the larger pieces back into the can to be crushed. 

Another trick I found out about was from a guy that works on body repairs on airplanes.  He mixed baking powder and CA glue to repair fiberglass areas on airplanes. It hardens like cement.  His wife was a woodturner and she mixed food coloring to make her filing. So between the two of them we have a similar product sold at woodturning stores for a fraction of the cost. 

So I can also mix my own turquoise, when needed,  1/4 cup baking powder, 15 drops of blue food coloring and 3 drops of green food coloring in a zip lock bag.  Kneed until well blended.  It will appear light in the bag.  To test the color, remove a little and drop water on it.  Different food coloring can make a difference.  So I usually will test the color with each new batch I make before using. Once mixed I place the powder into a small bottle with a spout, so I can just squeeze the amount needed into the hole. To use it, I put thin CA in the crack or hole to seal the area. Put a little mix in and drop a few more drops of CA over the mix. (the chemical reaction may cause it to smoke a little, do not breath the smoke). I'll will often use a toothpick to push the powder into smaller areas that need filled or pop any bubbles created.  Layer the mix and CA until it is slightly above the filled area so that it can be turned or sanded smooth.   You can mix any color you wish with this mixture.   

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Richard Pyle

Carpe Lignum

Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 10:32am

I use a 1" piece of pipe w/ endcap & then I took a threaded rod that fit the largest nut I could fit in the pipe. Doubled the nut and turned a handle for the rod. You can make it as fine or chunky as you want...

IP Logged

Richard Pyle

Carpe Lignum

Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 10:36am

If you use brass shavings from a key machine make sure you run a magnet over it to get out any steel shavings so they don't rust.

IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 12:49pm

Kathy - great idea. We have some boxes of baking power that we just replaced in the refrigerators so I will give this a try.

Thanks for sharing - Dave G. 

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Steve nix
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

Iota, Louisiana, USA
Iota
Louisiana
USA

Grizzly mini, 1642 Jet, s750 Stubby
Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 1:56pm

Like several others I welded a bottom plate on a 8" tall 1 1/2" pipe and use an 3/4" steel rod 12" long to crush the stone. You can also just use a cap on a threaded pipe. I prefer the welded base plate because I can stand it on my shop bench and hammer on the rod when crushing.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print