with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Samurai
Nov 18th, 2015 at 10:17am

Sorry for the quality of the photos here - taken with my phone.  I will get some better photos soon, but I wanted to get something in here...

The wood came from a tree in my yard that blew down in a wind storm a couple years ago.  The wood is from a decorative tree, chokecherry tree. The pith is right down the center and the grain was not terrific… so I felt it needed a bit of something…

The center sphere is about 6 inches in diameter, the base is part of the original tree, colored black.  The top is Cherry and Walnut.  It is hollowed to about 1/8 inch wall thickness.

The color was applied in 3 colors (yellow, red and purple) , base, then two overlapping applications, some sealed in-between applications, some not.

The top finish is gloss WOP, no buffing.

After I was done it appeared oriental to me, so I named it Samurai.

I would like you honest impressions.  I am thinking the top is about 10-20% too large, but others may not think like I do…

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_0656vs.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_0657vs.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Re: Samurai
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 11:06am

You are correct I think the top is too large.  I also think instead of the natural walnut it would look better either black or one of the other colors of the hollow form.  Looking at the base you used I think a very dark brown or black would look good.  Hard to tell from the pix but maybe the purple you used on the form.  I like the form and the top goes with it just not quite so large.  Maybe the base of your top could just be an extension of the form.  Just some ideas.  Since the form is great you could play around with the tops/finials.  Fun to do that anyway.  As you are well aware to come up with a great piece of art requires a lot of experimentation.  I really like the stuff you come up with.  Keep up the good work.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 3:38pm

My criticisms are that the top, and base should be the same wood, or of the same color.
You have a lot going on there with the sphere, and with the top and bottom all being different shades, it throws the piece off. It draws my eye away from the sphere.
I like the overall form...the top might be too large, I can see that.., and the dye job came out well.

Over all, I like it.

IP Logged

Eric Armstrong

Brookville, PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Brookville, PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 5:24pm

I would keep the shape of the top but dye it the same color as the base as John and Larry suggested.  I'd leave the crescent off. It adds nothing to the design.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2015 at 5:25pm by Eric Armstrong »  

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 5:29pm

Here's an attempt to show it apx 20% smaller:
Before:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

After:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Does that help you?? Thumbs Up

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 5:47pm

Looks better, but at least the ball part of the finial should match the base.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:54am

The body of the piece is fabulous and the base really compliments the piece.

When I am unsure of a piece I am working on I will place it across the room and look at it at different directions.  Sometimes for several days.... This helps me to get a prospective of the overall piece.  Just a suggestion you might try.

My first impression is that the top seems to throw the piece off balance. Looking at your photo, the direction of the grain and size on the cresent seems to not fit.  The top seems to not belong to the piece in its current form and color. 

My suggestion would be to pick up a color from the body for the cap, make the cresent a bit smaller (maybe 1/3 of the width of the piece) and dye the cresent black to match the base...
or
pick up a color from the body for the cresent and dye the cap black to tie the overall piece together.

Maybe turn different tops, try them on a piece to see which compliements the piece the best. You can use them for other pieces later.

Just my impressions...

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 10:48am

Have to agree with comments that the top detracts from what is an exceptional shape, finish and colour of the vessel.
In my opinion the top piece could benefit by being sized to the lid. (Golden mean ratio). Of course that is just my opinion, not being an artist I can only provide my laymans view.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 11:27am

Bert, I find that sometimes artists are sort of blinded by their schooling, whereas a layman tends more to feel when something isn't right. Thumbs Up

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 7:08pm

I will say the colors & techniques you used to apply them on the ball are stunning. You got skills

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print