Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flower basket (Read 1,815 times)
Ben Goeller

WR Rocks!

Flower basket
Nov 22nd, 2015 at 11:16am

I'm not sure why others start embellishing there pieces but I did it mainly because the logs or wood I was using was plain to say the least. Add that to the fact I was an average turner I needed to "embellish" my work to get the proper oohs and ahhs .
Anyway this piece- the base, the oak basket, and the pebbles that the flowers are stuck into were all turned on the lathe. The round base, I used the lathe to index and lay out the lines for the tile effect. On the pebbles ( the grey part that the flowers are into I turned it and carved the pebble effect into it. The Oak basket came out the best- after I turned it I carved the woven look into it and pyrographed the dark lines. By the time it was finished one would have to actually get very close up to tell if it was a real basket or one piece.
The rest of the piece it ALL wood. The flowers and leaves were carved out of tupelo and then painted for the proper effect.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register flowers-in-oak-vase.gif (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Re: Flower basket
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 12:53pm

That is absolutely amazing,perfect in every sense.The flowers look so real. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 3:41pm

Ben your work is incredible, Wow! You should join and submit your work on World of wood turners WOW. Your work would stand strong with all the other great pieces I have seen. Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2015 at 3:41pm by Breck Whitworth »  

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 5:41pm

Nicely done   Thumbs Up

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 12:06pm

Very nice.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 1:07pm

Ben - I suggest you post a few more photos of each element here for us to "Ooo" and Aaahh" over.

Terrific work!  Excellent carving and painting work!

IP Logged

Ben Goeller

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 5:18pm

Thanks for all the great comments!

Breck, not sure what WoW is but I'll check it out.

IP Logged

Kat Tomiczek
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 7:37am

Wow is right! I'm into wood turning, chip carving, marquetry, and basket illusions for embellishments to our wood turned vessels. YOU  stepped outside the box. I really am impressed!  The flowers are the most delightful. Can you give me some tips are to how you accomplished them to look so real?

IP Logged

Ben Goeller

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 10:28am

Kat, I’m not great with words but I’ll try. First I turn the approximate shape I need , in this case a cone shape. Then I’ll hollow it out or drill it out while it’s on the lathe, if necessary.  Once I cut it off the lathe I’ll draw my  lines where I want to begin carving (the line in red) and then begin removing the material I don’t need to get the look I want.

As far as painting, I always start with the darkest color first, painting the entire flower and then begin to add lighter colors as needed.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print