Another gift idea (Read 536 times)

Eric Armstrong

Brookville, PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Brookville, PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Another gift idea
Nov 29th, 2015 at 9:45am

Here's one example of some candle holders I just finished. I made three pair. Each pair is a slightly different shape and color. They are about 4" dia. and 3" high.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Re: Another gift idea
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 11:25am

Absolute beautiful!
Do you paint with the piece on the lathe or off?  What paint did you use on this piece?  They really compliment each other.  Such a great gift... Smiley Smiley

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Eric Armstrong

Brookville, PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Brookville, PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Re: Another gift idea
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 2:54pm

Kathy: I finish the turning and seal the part with dewaxed shellac. Final "sanding" is a brown scotchbrite pad with the lathe turned on. Painting is done off-lathe. I paint the base first and, after drying, I paint the body. I use "Old Village" colors. The pictured piece is "Bayberry". I mount the piece on the lathe chuck and use it to hold the piece whilst painting the bands (acrylics). Afterwards, I give it a coat of Krylon semi-gloss, then a wipe of black stain to accent the grooves and leave a little patina. After drying and a final wipe, I finish with Krylon matte finish. Afterwards, a coat of paste wax, and it's done.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print