WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Laying out new shop
Nov 29th, 2015 at 8:42pm

I'm now ready to get started on my new shop.  It will be about 9 ft x 25 in the back part of the garage.  I'm going to go with unfinished oak kitchen cabinets.  I thought I'd finish them with Danish oil, but the wife doesn't like that idea and said polyurethane.   

I'm trying to decide for the lower cabinets how many drawers vs cupboard style.  I know one section will be cabinets with one drawer above the doors.  Any suggestions?    Thanks pictures will be posted when done.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Guy Bratt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Re: Laying out new shop
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 8:56pm

I like drawers of custom sizes.  I don't like unloading a cabinet to get something in the back. It's also easier than getting down and up with my mechanical knees.  If you go with drawers consider foam or dividers for individual items.  You lose some storage area but things can't hide underneath so easily.   

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2015 at 12:42am

You could consider using drawer slides onthe shelves behind the doors. My wife complained about the kitchen cupboards being hard to use effectively as so much stuff gets pushed to the back. We upgraded to drawer hardware in place of shelves and wow they work GREAT in the kitchen. 

IP Logged

gary r heltemes

WR Rocks!

williston, North Dakota, USA
williston
North Dakota
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2015 at 8:28am

Plus 1 X 2 on the above suggestions. Mechanical slides and drawers-drawers-drawers.
In my shop I did exactly like Bert mentions. I made a shallow drawer, about 2 to 2-1/2" deep, so that tools etc., don't fall off. My drawers are adjustable up or down if needed. I have, I believe, 18 of these drawers, and I am still short of storage space. Wink

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Supporter

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 10:33pm

Remember if you do lower cabinets you are going to lose a 3' X 25' hunk of space.  You will now have a 6 X 25 shop.  Upper cabinets a great idea, lower not so much.  A 6' work bench on the wall with shelves or drawers is a good idea.  I presume everything will be on wheels so you can drag stuff out into the middle of the garage for projects.  Facing the wall I would suggest you put the lathe in the left corner out about 3' from the wall with a shower curtain around it to contain the chips/dust.  A good dust collector to be used when you sand is also a good idea.  Would help with suggestions if you posted a sketch.

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2015 at 9:51am

Thanks for the ideas guys!  I hadn't thought about the shelves on pull out.  The wife's kitchen has them & I think they're great.   

I hadn't planned on putting cabinets the whole wall.   

I'd love to put the lathe in the left corner but the gas heater hangs up there.

I'll see if I can get a sketch posted.  The scanner is still packed away.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print