Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
am i doing this correct? (Read 2,504 times)

gary marquardt

WR Rocks!

Saline, Michigan, USA
Saline
Michigan
USA

Re: am i doing this correct?
Reply #15 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 11:35am

So i  feel really stupid now.  when we grabbed the  log it was almost dark out and it was laying in a  bunch of pine branches. 
i rolled it into the back  yard and snapped the  pics.  On friday I broke out the  chain saw and got set up to cut it.  that's when i realized that maybe I need  a course in  wood i.d  just because it was laying in  pine branches doesn't mean it's  Pine.  that  just  means that  the guys trimmed some  pine trees first.  That log is actually Maple.  and some really nice maple at that.
So what I  did was  I  first cut  just above that spalting as there was a small crack there and roughed out a bowl from that.  then cut along the  crack and pulled two  pieces about 5" out of that for maybe platters.  that still gave  me two more  decent  sized pieces for  bowls and a couple of corner chunks that will become tool handles and  fly rod reel seat etc.  there is the one  piece with the punk part attached to that I'm still trying to  figure out.

IP Logged

gary marquardt

WR Rocks!

Saline, Michigan, USA
Saline
Michigan
USA

Reply #16 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 11:51am

BTW there's more.  if anyone is near Traverse City Mi let me know and i'll  get you the location.

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #17 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 6:34pm

it's already started to spalt, you won't want to leave it very long...get it rough turned or get it put up someplace dry ...otherwise spalting becomes punk and then you don't even have decent firewood really....

IP Logged

Charlie Zapalac
WR Addict

The Cross Guy

Carlos, Tx, Texas, USA
Carlos, Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #18 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:08pm

There is a process of soaking the wood in denatured alcohol before turning to make it translucent (see thru).  Absolutely gorgeous lamp shades.  i have seen one completed first hand. The guy setup a light inside when finish turning to make sure the light passing thru will be even.  Google pine turned lamp shades.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print