Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
am i doing this correct? (Read 2,505 times)

gary marquardt

WR Rocks!

Saline, Michigan, USA
Saline
Michigan
USA

am i doing this correct?
Nov 30th, 2015 at 6:51pm

over  the weekend I picked up some FOG wood while  in northern Michigan.  I have  yet to i.d what kind of pine it is.  Kind of had to  do a grab and go with it.  most of the   pieces are about 24" dia X 18" tall.  my  thought is  this.  slice them into  4 wedges and then  slice out the pith.  rough them into rounds and seal  with anchor seal until i  can  get to them in  about a month.  then  rough turn and finish drying in chips before final turning.  this is a new area for me as i  usually do smaller stuff.  Correct my procedure if need be.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: am i doing this correct?
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2015 at 7:33pm

Sounds like a good plan, this may help.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There are other resources in the TPT section.

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

HF 1236 (34706)
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2015 at 7:38pm

Gary,
Sounds like you are planning to turn bowls (but not sure.) If so, in which orientation are you planning to turn them - edge toward the outside (bark side), or edge toward the pith side?  Also, what is the capacity of your lathe?
You have many options on how to cut blanks from these logs, depending on the width and depth you desire. Reed ("Robo Hippy") has a great video on turning logs into blanks here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register You might also check out this Glenn Lucas video for an idea of how many blanks he gets out of large log Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register If you have to wait a while to turn them, the end grain needs to be sealed.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2015 at 7:39pm by Bill Rockwood »  

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2015 at 8:16pm

Before spending too much additional time, try turning one to see if the wood is full of sticky pitch.

IP Logged

gary marquardt

WR Rocks!

Saline, Michigan, USA
Saline
Michigan
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 4:34pm

and if it's full of sticky nasty pitch I presume the best thing is to  "pitch it" into the fire pit? or is there a way  to  work  with it?

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Supporter

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 8:12pm

No you do not have to pitch the wood because it has pitch.  I have turned a lot of it.  It helps to have jar of turpentine handy to clean off any from your lathe and tools.  A lot of it is just flat beautiful.

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

HF 1236 (34706)
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 2:12am

Here's another good video on cutting log segments into bowl blank pieces, by Mike Mahoney (the person behind Mahoney's walnut oil, etc.)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Wish I could find wood the size he's cutting in this video...

IP Logged

gary marquardt

WR Rocks!

Saline, Michigan, USA
Saline
Michigan
USA

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 1:30pm

here's what it looks like.  Cutting it   later this week

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 5:12pm

I would cut right down that crack right in the middle to start.
At least 2 bowls there.

IP Logged

gary marquardt

WR Rocks!

Saline, Michigan, USA
Saline
Michigan
USA

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 5:52pm

Thanks John.  it's about 20" wide.  I really want to  get a bowl out of that spalting towards the bottom.  plus it's really  flat there so  it could make mounting it easier.  I may  cut at the crack then to the right of the spalting then across.  the upper left  corner is pretty punky.  I can stick a pencil into it.  Maybe i'll  mark it out tomorrow and repost.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Wood is one of God's hidden /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2015 at 10:26pm

Gary, I've turned some pine with lots of pitch and it has turned out very well.  If you turn it to the right thickness (thinness) it becomes translucent, very much like Norfork Island Pine (NIP).  Here is a picture of one that I did.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #11 - Dec 12th, 2015 at 12:15pm

gary marquardt wrote on Dec 9th, 2015 at 5:52pm:
Thanks John.  it's about 20" wide.  I really want to  get a bowl out of that spalting towards the bottom.  plus it's really  flat there so  it could make mounting it easier.  I may  cut at the crack then to the right of the spalting then across.  the upper left  corner is pretty punky.  I can stick a pencil into it.  Maybe i'll  mark it out tomorrow and repost.

I would saw that log along the crack.
I would score the end across the crack, flip the log end for end, and find the pith, and score another line with the saw along the same plane as the first score mark.
Then lay the log on the side, and shim it so it won't roll around, and saw length wise to connect the score marks on each end. That way you are cutting long grain. Much bigger chips, and easier on you and the saw.
Cut most the way through, roll the log over, and finish the cut.
Before you finish, you may want to cut the log to length of at least equal to the width of the log at the widest part.
Knock off the corners, and you have a blank.
No need for wedges. You are not splitting firewood.
You can mount it pith in, or out.

IP Logged

Blake Sellenberg

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - Dec 12th, 2015 at 2:08pm

Steve Doerr wrote on Dec 11th, 2015 at 10:26pm:
Gary, I've turned some pine with lots of pitch and it has turned out very well.  If you turn it to the right thickness (thinness) it becomes translucent, very much like Norfork Island Pine (NIP).  Here is a picture of one that I did.

omg the color on that is beautiful! Time to go turn some wood now lol

Knowledge Is Power!

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2015 at 2:22pm

You said pine, but I have never seen a pine with red/brown heart wood.  The picture doesn't show the bark well but from what I can see it does not look like pine.

IP Logged

gary marquardt

WR Rocks!

Saline, Michigan, USA
Saline
Michigan
USA

Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 11:30am

So i  feel really stupid now.  when we grabbed the  log it was almost dark out and it was laying in a  bunch of pine branches. 
i rolled it into the back  yard and snapped the  pics.  On friday I broke out the  chain saw and got set up to cut it.  that's when i realized that maybe I need  a course in  wood i.d  just because it was laying in  pine branches doesn't mean it's  Pine.  that  just  means that  the guys trimmed some  pine trees first.  That log is actually Maple.  and some really nice maple at that.
So what I  did was  I  first cut  just above that spalting as there was a small crack there and roughed out a bowl from that.  then cut along the  crack and pulled two  pieces about 5" out of that for maybe platters.  that still gave  me two more  decent  sized pieces for  bowls and a couple of corner chunks that will become tool handles and  fly rod reel seat etc.  there is the one  piece with the punk part attached you that I'm still trying to  figure out.

IP Logged

gary marquardt

WR Rocks!

Saline, Michigan, USA
Saline
Michigan
USA

Reply #15 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 11:35am

So i  feel really stupid now.  when we grabbed the  log it was almost dark out and it was laying in a  bunch of pine branches. 
i rolled it into the back  yard and snapped the  pics.  On friday I broke out the  chain saw and got set up to cut it.  that's when i realized that maybe I need  a course in  wood i.d  just because it was laying in  pine branches doesn't mean it's  Pine.  that  just  means that  the guys trimmed some  pine trees first.  That log is actually Maple.  and some really nice maple at that.
So what I  did was  I  first cut  just above that spalting as there was a small crack there and roughed out a bowl from that.  then cut along the  crack and pulled two  pieces about 5" out of that for maybe platters.  that still gave  me two more  decent  sized pieces for  bowls and a couple of corner chunks that will become tool handles and  fly rod reel seat etc.  there is the one  piece with the punk part attached to that I'm still trying to  figure out.

IP Logged

gary marquardt

WR Rocks!

Saline, Michigan, USA
Saline
Michigan
USA

Reply #16 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 11:51am

BTW there's more.  if anyone is near Traverse City Mi let me know and i'll  get you the location.

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #17 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 6:34pm

it's already started to spalt, you won't want to leave it very long...get it rough turned or get it put up someplace dry ...otherwise spalting becomes punk and then you don't even have decent firewood really....

IP Logged

Charlie Zapalac
WR Addict

The Cross Guy

Carlos, Tx, Texas, USA
Carlos, Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #18 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:08pm

There is a process of soaking the wood in denatured alcohol before turning to make it translucent (see thru).  Absolutely gorgeous lamp shades.  i have seen one completed first hand. The guy setup a light inside when finish turning to make sure the light passing thru will be even.  Google pine turned lamp shades.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print