Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
'Hand' Scrapers before Sanding... (Read 2,168 times)

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

'Hand' Scrapers before Sanding...
Dec 9th, 2015 at 12:22pm

I read an interesting post yesterday over at SawMill Creek where another turner showed some extremely nicely done pieces with a glass smooth finish.  The turner extolled the virtues of using traditional hand-held wood scrapers as his final process before switching to sandpaper.  Question...have any of you worked with hand scrapers during the final turning phase?  It sounds like an intriguing method to get a smoother finish...just curious.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Larry Matchett
WR Supporter

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Re: 'Hand' Scrapers before Sanding...
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 1:22pm

Yes.  I use the curved ones on some hollow forms and sometimes a bowl to fix any tear out I can't get out with other tools.  Works better then low grit sand paper as you don't have deep scratches.  A fresh burr on the scraper is a must of course.  I don't use when the lathe is on however.  Some other turners do but I am a nervous Nellie when it comes to sharp edges and my hand inside a bowl.  I suppose you could at very low speed and the outside of a form.

IP Logged

Dwight Rutherford

WR Rocks!

Roseville, California, USA
Roseville
California
USA

Jet 1642
Rose Engine
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 2:08pm

About a year ago Brad Adams ( a local Bay Area turner ) gave our club a demo and used very thin scrapers to take out tear out and tool ridges. Since then, I have been using them with great success on the outside of my hollow forms and platters. Can't find curved scrapers for inside of bowls that are thin enough. I do use the scrapers with the lathe running and get whisper thin shavings. Here is a link to the scrapers.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 2:38pm

I have a set of three Henry Taylor "fine finishing scrapers" that work great for those hard to clean up tear out areas. They are not for heavy cuts, but the round rod makes tool presentation confidence very easy to achieve. A bit pricey but they do what they are designed for. I don't use them often but am glad to have them when the need arises. High lathe speed and very light stroking cuts with a freshly sharpened scraper works wonders pre-sanding
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 7:23pm

To each his own, but these tools are not a power tool accessory, they are a hand tool.
Turn safely

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:14pm

Ed Weber wrote on Dec 9th, 2015 at 7:23pm:
To each his own, but these tools are not a power tool accessory, they are a hand tool.
Turn safely

I like my fingers, all ten of them! I know the limits to my concentration. I'm sure I would not be carefull enough!
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:15pm by Chris Neilan »  

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 10:13am

Hand tools for sure, and difficult to control with the lathe spinning. You can make your own if you have an old hand saw, and cut and grind to your favorite shapes, and then burnish the burr. If there is really bad tear out, they might be handy, but I have not found any advantages over a good burr on a scraper. I do like them for flat work prior to sanding, or for removing scratch marks from the drum sander...

robo hippy

IP Logged

RandyIngram
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

North East TN, Tennessee, USA
North East TN
Tennessee
USA

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 4:14pm

I was watching some Japanese turning vids and they used a hand scraper with great results.  I would love to find more technique info.

P.S.  My 8th post in 8 years of being registered here.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2015 at 4:16pm by RandyIngram »  

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 4:43pm

Randy...Ooh, better slow down there big fella (sorry...couldn't resist).  Would you mind posting links to any of those videos?  Thank you...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 7:45pm

RandyIngram wrote on Dec 13th, 2015 at 4:14pm:
I was watching some Japanese turning vids and they used a hand scraper with great results.  I would love to find more technique info.

Hey Randy, at the risk of sending your post count into double digits, I think many of us would like to learn more about that process. Japanese tools and usage often varies greatly from western methods.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 12:18pm

I can see them being useful on end grain turnings. If I could see the Japanese turner using them, I would suspect that is how they are beint used. For me though, not on flat grain with the lathe running. Just haven't found them useful.

The Tracy Owens tools from Henry Taylor are interesting, and scrapers from half round stock make shear scraping easier. I to round over the edges of all of my scrapers for that purpose. I did see Tracy demo them in San Jose when the Symposium was there. For me, another 'I all ready have tools that will do that' situation.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 2:28pm

As I mentioned in an earlier post,'to each his own"

There are literally hundreds of "scraping" type tools specifically dedicated and designed for woodturning.
I do not understand why anyone would need/want to opt for a cabinet scraper or card scraper, a tool that isn't designed for anything other than flat surfaces. I am aware that there are styles with profiles other than straight, these are still for straight ( linear ) scraping, (coves & flutes for example) not round objects.

IP Logged

Steve Rollinson

If you're like me, and
I know I am...

Gifu, Japan
Gifu
Japan

Reply #12 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 9:21am

Curved scrapers are fantastic on the inside of warped bowls. Don't use a tool rest of course. Wear gloves. They can take away tool marks like nothing else. If your burr technique is good... you can get angel hair shavings and save a great deal of sanding. My skill has improved to the point of not needing to use them too much, but for bowls turned long ago... they work well!

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way" -Mark Twain ...

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 6:31pm

I will sometimes use a curved one to clean up some end-grain tear out inside a bowl that's being stubborn....or a patch that seems to sand all around, but not that spot specifically...   lets me skip the 80 & 100 grits and go to 120 and higher more quickly....   haven't dared to try it with the lathe actually spinning however.....

I also use it on the bottom of a larger bowl to get the last of the bottom tenon leveled out and smoothed before finish sanding....    

IP Logged

RandyIngram
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

North East TN
Tennessee
USA

Reply #14 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 8:59pm

John Grace wrote on Dec 13th, 2015 at 4:43pm:
Randy...Ooh, better slow down there big fella (sorry...couldn't resist).  Would you mind posting links to any of those videos?  Thank you...

Around 40 seconds in shows a curved blade scraper with a red handle.  I would love to find more Japanese turning vids.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #15 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 9:56am

Randy...Absolutely hysterical but if you go look at the videos section you'll find the exact same video I posted here a couple of days ago.  I found it after reading your initial post, got curious, and began hunting around YouTube for japanese turning videos.  Great minds and all that....Cheers, John

IP Logged

RandyIngram
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

North East TN
Tennessee
USA

Reply #16 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 8:37pm

Sorry.  I hadn't been on here for a few days (busy with Xmas gifts).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print