Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Shop - Enclose lathe only? (Read 2,153 times)

Lark Leazar
WR Addict

Hook 'Em!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

New Shop - Enclose lathe only?
Dec 11th, 2015 at 7:00am

After a LONG time with the lathe in a box, I'm considering a move that would give me one car stall in a garage for a shop.  Hooray!

I was going to wall off the entire shop and then use cabinets and no open shelves due to the dust. 

Now, I'm considering just enclosing part of this area for just the lathe, dust collection (shop vac with dust deputy), one cabinet for stuff I need when I'm at the lathe and of course a tool stand. 

The rest (band saw, chop saw, table saw, drill press) would be outside this room and open to the car storage.  i do NO flat-work.  I might make some birdhouses if I find old fenceboards being thrown out.  The table saw is virtually unused. 

This would allow me to enclose the lathe only and keep the dust off all my other stuff.  The sawdust generated from the other non-lathe work shouldn't be extreme. 

Thoughts?

Delta Midi 46-460

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Donald Jordan

WR Rocks!

Tampa, Florida, USA
Tampa
Florida
USA

Nova 1624-44
Re: New Shop - Enclose lathe only?
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2015 at 7:59am

Lark,

I think you are on the right track here.... my lathe and all my other tools are open in the garage with dust collection... and some dust still goes everywhere. Others on this forum have suggested shower curtains, etc. to section off the lathe.
Some have separate areas for finishing the projects as well, which is nice.

IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga, Georgia, USA
Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Lindow -White Rose Engine
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2015 at 8:58am

Lark,

We are fortunate enough to have two spaces in the shop, the "Turning Room" which has the lathes, band saw and drill press, (band saw makes a LOT of dust)  and what we call the "dry" room that we use for storage, finishing etc. where we don't generate any dust.

If you divide the space 2/3 - 1/3 and got all of your dust generators in one space, where you have your dust collection system, it would keep the rest of the garage dust free.

Good luck  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Ron

It is easier to be forgiven than to get permission!

IP Logged

Lark Leazar
WR Addict

Hook 'Em!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 6:42am

Thanks for the comments!  I hadn't thought about curtains.  This may be a really good option.  Would save me a lot of work (building a wall).  I'll need to balance this against the good with the wall (more wall space, more outlets).

Thanks

Delta Midi 46-460

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

Grizzly G0838
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 4:54pm

I plan to "upgrade" to a shower curtain one day.  For now, I have a couple freebie HF tarps (got a bunch back when they had the free tarp coupons) that I hang from the ceiling using cup hooks.  I can take down and store when not in use, and I won't cry if I have to toss them someday.  Wink

IP Logged

Bob Bachynsky
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 4:08pm

I did sort of the same thing for winter. I have a back garage that is also a mancave. Hung some plastic, have a air filter in there as well as a small Harbor freight dust collector and a make shift dust deputy. Seems to be working pretty well and for larger parties the walls can be taken down in about 5 minutes.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_20151206_120159441.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_20151206_120211060.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Kat Tomiczek
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 2:59pm

My husband & I both turn. At one time he had an add'l workbench in turning room along with our 3 lathes,+, +. It was too crowed with no escape route. My thoughts are: "designing your space with safety I mind", then have fun turning..
kat

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print